Saturday, May 27, 2006

My First Recording



Since I have been working on my recording, I have been thinking a lot about my musical past. My first musical experience was in a children's choral group called Young Naperville Singers. It was founded by a beautifully talented woman named Helen Grubbs.

She provided a place for many children to come and learn about music. As part of Young Naperville Singers I experienced many firsts: My first audition, sight-reading, choral singing, solo competition, choral competition, singing in a foreign language, musical tour, concert, singing at a memorial service, and recording. I got to sing at Disneyland and Sea World, which is very important to a 10-year-old.

The memorial service that I sang for was Helen's. She passed away of lung cancer while I was a member of her choir. It was one of the most heart-wrenching times for me, because she represented the beginning of a musical life for me. Young Naperville Singers provided me with a strong, unbreakable musical foundation that has shaped my entire path. It is because of that that I am going to record one non-Christmas song on my inaugural album. It is called Music, You Are a Friend to Me. We sang this at every concert and at her memorial service, and it is my tribute to Helen.

The first time I recorded was with a small group of YNS kids. We went downtown with our moms and wore our red polo shirts and jeans (french-rolled of course). I remember our moms being a little skiddish going to "Downtown Chicago". Some random guy on the street demanded cash for them to park their cars where they did, and as soon as he had it in hand, he bolted. Oh our poor suburban victim mothers. I guess it could have been worse.

I believe the recording was for Amoco...either an industrial or commercial. I don't even remember how the song went, just that I felt special, and excited and proud. And I don't think it was because of my outfit (in the photo on the right, I am the one smiling on the far left, and in the photo on the left, that is Helen in the navy blue sweater, with her back to us, I'm smiling at her).

Thanks Helen.


1 comment:

marian said...

I can't wait to hear the song, what an awesome tribute to a woman who clearly made a HUGE difference in your life! And, as a total side note, you look SO MUCH like daughter #1 in these shots.