Sunday, July 02, 2006

3 down, a gajillion to go.


I am learning that recording an album takes TIME. I really do KNOW this, but it always seems to take just a teensy beensy bit longer than I want it to. I get ready to go to my recording session with goals in mind of how many songs I want to get done, and I am usually shy 1 at the end of the day.

This bothered me a lot at the beginning, but I am slowly becoming more patient with it. It's a process. I want it to be good. I don't want it to be bad. This past Saturday I spent time doing one of the most daunting pieces because it has a lot of vocal layering. I was singing SO out of tune. I was starting to get concerned with just how out of tune I was singing, and my engineer reassured me that everything that goes into recording makes bizarre things happen with the way you sing sometimes. The studio, earphones, microphone, repetition etc.

I think my main problem is I am learning how to hear in a different way. At times I would take one of the ears on the phones completely off my ear because I am used to hearing myself that way. Sometimes wearing the earphones made me sing in a key that was literally on another planet. Weird and scary. Hopefully it hasn't psyched me out and I will be able to continue.

It is a good feeling to have 3 songs done, but I feel that the road is still quite long. I still have to get the kid singers in there and get my 4-year-old to work her sweet little voice magic. In the meantime, I have booked several appearances in my home town and the photos for the cover have been done...a sneak peek is above.

Also, if you want a sneak peek, I put one track here.

No comments: