Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Way We Live Part III







Georgiana Deming lives in this 3 Bedroom Railroad Apartment in Woodside, Queens. For those of you that don't know, a RR-style apartment is a long apartment where the rooms are lined up one after the other, like railroad cars. This means that whoever is in the last bedroom has to walk through every room to get to it, and in the middle of the night if you have to use the facilities, you have to walk through all the rooms to get there. This apartment has a separate entrance for one of the bedrooms, so that at least allows for more privacy if you have roommates.

I love Georgiana's room because she has made so much of such a small space. She built this loft bed, clothes shelves and suitcase coffee table with her own two hands. She covered all the books on her desk shelf with white paper so that they wouldn't be a distraction. The day before the shoot she dumpster-dove for that bike, and she plans on restoring it.

In the main room of the apartment is a great old couch that she picked up at the Salvation Army. I love the photo of her sitting at the table in front of the kitchen view. See the scalloped edge? It is ONLY there in the apartment. NY apartments are full of random chair rails, edging, doorbells, and light switches that used to have a purpose, but are a mystery now.

I admire Georgiana so much because she is an independent woman who has literally MADE her living space a peaceful haven in a city and lifestyle of tumult.

For more THE WAY WE LIVE click here and here.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I guess I didn't know what a railroad apt was either until I moved to NY....

I love the way Georgiana makes use of her space as well...especially the loft bed (although I would probably fall out of one). I noticed the covered books right away and thought it was a nice touch.

How do you know this amazing woman? Is she in our old ward?

Rachel H said...

Totally loving this idea, great to get a peek into the "real world" of New Yorkers. It sure doesn't look like those articles in my Elle Decor and Architectural Digest. =) Keep it up!

chloe said...

Yes, who is Georgina - I'm so afraid that I missed her in our old branch/ward...

Love the apartment - she's done some really cool things with it and the chandelier over the dining table is sooooooooooo cool.

Kage said...

She just moved here maybe a year ago, she is Helen's friend, and that is Helen's old apartment. Helen's room is in the back...but HElen is in UT right now. Georgiana was a guest princess at my daughters party.

chloe said...

Is Helen coming back??

Emery and Jen Layton said...

Kristy:

Your blog is so fun. It made me LONG to be back in NY. I am so happy that you are so happy! I can't believe how big Darby is. Thanks for the updates!

Jen Layton a.k.a. Sister West (Missionary)