Tuesday, August 29, 2006

8 years....we made it...sigh



I have this rule in my house that on Sunday (our Sabbath Day), the kids can only watch a church-themed video or a home video. Some Sunday's this means we opt for no television at all, but this past weekend the girls wanted to see all the weddings. We watched my sister's, my friend's (E-dawg and Beth), and finally mine.

Whenever I watch a home video I look at that person on the screen and think: Wow, she is so young and energetic. Ok, I guess I still am, but having this second kid and more demands of my career, I feel old and tired. Then I put in my wedding video, and I think: Wow, I don't even remember that girl. I looked different, I was more immature, and I thought I knew so much.

Luckily I knew enough to marry the man I did. When asked how he (at 25) could possibly marry a 19-year-old girl, he replies: She had potential. And I think that it is safe to say 8 years later, that I did, and that I have done my best to fulfill that potential. And the same can be said about him. I looked at him on that video and realized that he has changed so much too. We have both grown up so much and most importantly learned how to have a great relationship. We communicate and express ourselves far better than we ever did during those dating months, and our love for each other has grown more than 8-fold over the past 8 years that we have been married.

I am so glad that I had the moxie I did to actually get married as a teenager to a MAN, 6 years older than me. Call me crazy or call me courageous, I think I was crazy with a little cocky mixed in there....but it has all worked out so well. I am so happy to have him as my husband, best friend and biggest supporter. And I am so grateful that he is the father of my children. I tell my girls all the time: Your welcome, for that Dad of yours.

PS...honey that photo on the right is for you because you told me I looked hot in it, about 4 times on Saturday, and I cannot remember a time when you thought I looked that good in something....so Happy Anniversary, I think I will wear it to our nice NYC anniversary dinner out tonight...rainboots and all. I hope what we eat is better than that yummy hamburger helper on the stove.

2 comments:

chloe said...

You look SO young in that picture on the left! Babies!

Congrats on 8 years.

Rachel H said...

I sometimes feel like others are living these parallel lives to us! We celerbrated our tenth Aug20th! When we married I was 19 AND he was 25, and I remember feeling so different than I do today. For one thing, when I look at our wedding stuff, I am like "Look at us!! We were total hotties!" Of course I didn't realize how goegeous we were back then because I was so young and perfectionistic I actually felt kinda ugly that day. I am grateful for time and age, though, because it has brought me a lot more acceptance of myself and happiness with our full lives. I also think I appreciate and enjoy those wedding photos more with each passing year. And my DD thinks I look like a "princess". =)