Friday, September 01, 2006

Circles

Towards the beginning of our marriage my husband came up with this theory of why I get stressed out. He said I have all these circles floating around me that represent things I have to do. And they become overwhelming because I am looking at all of them at once. Then he suggested that I gather up the circles and put them in a pile, like a stack of 3 x 5 cards when you are giving a speech, and just look at one at a time.

Random huh? Ever since then all either of us has to say is: Too many circles, and that describes what is going on and helps me to focus. Right now I am having a circle moment. Today marks the home stretch for the year. I have exactly 3 months to achieve the following:
Finish the Album
Prepare a Christmas concert for my church (which has begun)
First Day of Pre-K
Have my stoop sale
Plan Halloween
Plan Thanksgiving
Plan Christmas
Prepare for my performances in Naperville, IL Dec. 7-12

And those are just the whoppers. I am sure in between there will be: auditions, callbacks, holds, bookings, 3 meals a day, season premieres on tv, my church responsibilities, register my daughter for ballet class, doctor appointments, bills to pay, trips to plan, and the list goes on.

Right now I am giving a lot away to the people around me. This happens when you try to be a good wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, member of the community in general. Last night my DH caught me at a tender moment and asked me a question and I just totally lost it. I was on my way to take care of myself with a bowl of Turkey Hill Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream and to watch Project Runway. It was 8:30 and I was just getting around to fulfilling some of my needs, and he interrupted that and I just flipped (that's the nice word for lost it, freaked out, went temporarily insane). This morning he described it as a place he has not seen me gone before...which is saying something after 8 years, and witnessing me give birth...twice.

Speaking of giving birth, I think I might have a new niece by day's end. I guess I better gather that "Call Spongy Feet and order a gift" circle right now so that I can obliterate it.

1 comment:

Laffy Taffy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.