Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday, the 13th

I am not superstitious. It has never bothered me when the 13th was a Friday. However, it is my cursed month, so it has given me pause today. Only a pause. Now it's gone, and I can post about what's really on my mind.

I have found myself reading a lot lately. Ever since my reading binge during my solo trip to California, I have been reading. In the past two months I have read Angels & Demons, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Pillars of the Earth and Balzac and the little Chinese Seamstress. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when I only read on the subway train when I happen to be on it alone, that's a lot of pages...Pillars has nearly 1000 pages.

I do enjoy reading, but I am also reading in order to avoid. I am avoiding the thoughts in my brain that can bring me down and turn me inside out. I have a lot going on right now, and when I sit down to work on everything it is fun, energizing and exciting. However, when I am sitting on a train with nothing else to distract me (yes, people watching wears off after 4 1/2 years here), I start thinking, and that can be dangerous and overwhelming.

So, to avoid my head hurting and my eyes rolling back into my head, I pull out my book and escape the chaos for just a few minutes. Last year I did The Artist's Way and the author/instructor required us to give up reading for an entire week, so that we could be alone with our thoughts, and our inner artist could communicate with us and lead us down the right artistic path. This particular chapter came at a devestating time because I was on vacation and I was about 50 pages into the new installment of Harry Potter. But I did it, I stopped reading for a week, and I listened to the voices, and now look at me, I am on the cusp of debuting my first album!

Today I must choose a new book to read. Last weekend at my mom's house I went book shopping b/c she has a lot of books. I brought home Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress (check), Bee Season, Ahab's Wife, The Namesake, and the Patron Saint of Liars. On my bookshelf I have The Fountainhead (given to me by a friend in high school YEARS ago...I think he was trying to tell me something, but 10 years later I still haven't cracked it).

I will stare long and hard at these books and listen the inner voices just long enough to help me choose which one to read...and try to avoid any bad luck situations on this Friday, the 13th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya ha ha ha ha..........

5 comments:

Rachel H said...

" I know it doesn't seem like much, "

Are you kidding me? The ONLY book I have read in the past YEAR outside of board books, my litle pony books,etc.. is The Divinci Code!! I read lots of magazines... mostly interior Design ones... but really!! It sounds like you have a great appetite for reading! I feel like I can't read books because I become so involved IN the book, I lose track of normal life and stop cleaning, crafting, and taking care of my children!!

tracy m said...

I'm like Rachel- once I start a book, I don't quit until I'm done- forget the children, dinner, baths, my husband- nothing.

By the way, Ayn Rand is a hard read- I didn't care for her point of view or The Fountainhead- for what that's worth!

wendysue said...

Since you lived in Chicago for a while, you might also like Devil in the White City (about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer) it's a good read.

Natasha said...

ahab's wife is another 1000 pager. I would ONLY read it in the bathtub, and i would let the water go cold so I could squeeze in a few more chapters. . . I really liked it. . .
nhb

Kage said...

Read Devil....so good.my first history book, might read some more.