Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Can you tell me how to get...

Yes, this was one of the best days of my New York Life. I love Sesame Street. I love the Muppets. I love the amazing art of puppetry. I love children's television. I love my daughter. To have all of these come together this afternoon, made me smile from ear to ear. I am so happy.

The first time I visited Sesame Street was a few years ago when I was pregnant with my now 19-month-old. I met Gina and Grover. I saw the amazing Jerry Nelson in action, and also Peter Linz, some of you may know him as Snook on the BIG BIG WORLD. And how can I forget Noel Mcneal,
who plays BEAR in Bear in the Big Blue House.

My second visit was today. I have been waiting to take my daughter to the Street. She had to be 4 years old, and time could not have moved slower. Today we saw a scene with Elmo, Telly, Slimy, Oscar the Grouch, Maria and Gordon. Simply Heaven. Oscar of course is played by the incomparable Caroll Spinney, who also plays Big Bird. He was so good to us. Oscar even laid one on me, my second adulterous kiss in two days...ay ya ya...(remember I got engaged yesterday?).


These folks have been making this television show for a hundred years, and they were as fresh as daisies. Everyone was so kind to us and gave us extra special treatment. They have cameramen there that have been at it since day 1, and one even has a muppet made to look like him. Rosita was not in the scene this afternoon, but her muppeteer, Carmen brought her out and did a little photoshoot, and even asked my daughter if she knew any spanish words.

Maria and Gordon (Sonia and Roscoe) were so nice and patient with all the kids. They were (obviously) playing a King and Queen today.

My daughter's favorite part was Hooper's Store. She wanted to order something. My favorite part was just seeing it through her eyes. When we left the building she said: "That was excrodinary"



As we were ringing Grammy to tell her about the days adventures, Mark Feuerstein rode by on his bike. I said a quick hello, and he sort of acted like he was going to stop to talk, but when I just said hi, he picked up his speed again. I think that I might not have recognized him if I hadn't just walked by the 3 LBS Hair & Makeup Door located in Kaufman Studios, right next to the Sesame Hair & Makeup Room.

I love that Sesame Street is right down our Street, and I feel so happy that we have had a chance to experience it first hand.

4 comments:

Britt said...

Love this post - I can see just how excited you both were! And really, your daughter is so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wendysue said...

Ok, I'm officially jealous with a capital J! What an amazing time!! Of course the kids have to be 4. . .so they will NEVER forget it.

Kage said...

WS-I was thinking in bed last night the same thing: I thought: I wonder if she will always remember this? I am glad I took a few pix to nudge that memory.

Also, they have to be 4 so that they understand what BE QUIET means when they are doing a take.