Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas 2006

Christmas Day 2006
I think this was one of my most favorite Christmas Days so far. I have been asking myself why it was different this year than other years. This year I celebrated with my parents, and all of my siblings and their families.

Here is why I feel it was different from other years:
1. This year both of my kids seemed to be very present for all the festivities. They understood that we were looking at Christmas Lights/Festivities while we were riding the local trolley. They loved their presents, and even SHARED quite a bit this morning. They loved opening and giving their presents...picking them out ahead of time too.

2. This year my little sister (the only other sibling that is married) had her baby girl here. Last Christmas she was pregnant and didn't even know it, so it was extra special to have her little girl with us. She really brightened the holiday.

3. In the past 8 years we have added 5 of us to the original 6, and this year the family didn't feel so new, polite and as a result uncomfortable. I felt that we had crossed a comfort line and it really felt like we were a family. I found this to be reflected in the gifts we gave each other too.

4. This Christmas was different because it really inspired me to want to be more Christ-like. I can't remember the last Christmas when I was moved to be more Christ-like. Of course I have always been touched by the Spirit, and made a conscious effort to celebrate Christ's birth, as opposed to just shopping and spreading lies about Santa, but not always specifically moved. So, I want to be more Christ-like, and more specifically--more kind and patient. Yesterday at church, the lesson was the reading of this short story by Leo Tolstoy. It is totally inspiring and beautiful, and if you have a few minutes, worth a read. Where Love Is, God Is by Leo Tolstoy.

I know there are only 4 points, but I found them significant, and just thought I would share. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Rane said...

Merry Christmas! Glad your day was all it should be filled with the spirit of Christmas, good memories and a wonderful family to share it with!