Saturday, December 09, 2006

The First "Holiday Tour" Adventure

The Mayor's Prayer Breakfast was Thursday morning. It was exciting because 500 members of the community gathered together to have breakfast and worship together. About 15 percent of the attendees were members of the clergy, and the same percentage of government workers.

It was the 2nd annual breakfast, so attendees were more excited to be there, knowing what was in store. My favorite part of the whole breakfast were the 6 children dressed as elves standing at the front entrance way, ringing bells, and yelling MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone who came through. So cute.

I got to sing 5 songs at the breakfast. All of them went pretty well. It is held in a large and vast gym at the local YMCA, so the sound is challenging, but I did the best I could. The guest speaker was Dr. Eboo Patel. He was very inspirational and well-prepared. I confess to tuning out for parts, but that is because I was focusing on the song that directly followed him. Sorry, Dr. Patel.

After the breakfast, I had the chance to meet a lot of "fans". I sold a good number of albums, and I think I autographed most of them. Every one who stayed to talk to me were new faces. I knew a lot of people in the crowd, and didn't see one of them afterwards. I thought that was really cool. I was really happy with the whole morning.

Here is where the adventure part comes in. We decided to count how many CD's we had sold based on boxes. We brought 5, and ended up home with 3. I was amazed that we had sold 2 full boxes. I did the math and figured out how much cash that would mean needed to be in the cashbox. When I got home to count it, only half of it was there. I did not believe that the nice YMCA ladies working the table had robbed me of half the money, and so I knew there was a box missing. My Naperville Managers (parents) and I went round and round about it. Did we bring 5 boxes or only 4? It was so early....we can't remember. I thought there was def. a box missing, but had my doubts as well, because WHERE COULD IT BE?

I did not panic. I called the YMCA employee WOmanning the table, and she said the whole area was clear, and no box was left there. I think it was my mom's idea to go and check for ourselves. So, we jumped in the car and walked in. My mom walked right behind a giant penguin that was no where NEAR where we had been selling, and it was sitting right there. I think my Dad had just unloaded them in the front entrance, and forgot to come get the last one.

Though I was dissappointed that we hadn't sold 2 boxes, I was so releaved to have my box back: SAFE AND SOUND.

ps. Is that how you spell releaved? It doesn't look right.....gotta go...more singing to do.

9 comments:

chloe said...

Relieved (the whole i before e except after c rule always helps).

And I'm SO glad that the tour is going well. Congrats on finding your missing box!

D said...

penguins cannot be trusted where music is concerned.

wendysue said...

Absolutely penquins cannot be trusted. . .did you not see "Happy Feet"?

By the way. . .do NOT see Happy Feet.

marian said...

glad it all worked out in the end. I've been thinking positive vocal thoughts for you all week, I'll keep them up! Can't wait to hear the full review. Did the posters make it out there okay?

Kage said...

thanks for the spelling. I will leave it as is, as a reminder that I need to learn to spell better.

Why NO Happy Feet? I thought it looked cute.

Posters look FABULOUS. The easel took a dive tonight (12/9) but we saved the poster! Phewsh.

chloe said...

Wait, why no Happy Feet? I was planning to take the kids next week...

marian said...

I've heard some bad reviews from other Moms on Happy Feet, that it starts out okay and really goes downhill after the first 10 minutes.

HK said...

Kage - congratulations on your successes this week. Your gift of music is touching the spirits of those you shared it with this week. It's been a long year, but worth it, I'm sure. Only wish I was there to see you in person.

Sorry to hijack this thread - I took my 3 year old grandson to see Happy Feet - he loved it. The adults in the audience probably picked up on certain things that the children did not. There's a political aspect to the movie, regarding environmental issues, but I don't think it detracted from the movie for the children. My grandson has spent the last two weeks singing and dancing his own version of the Happy Feet dance. As a lover of penquins for my entire life, I enjoyed the movie and the message that being different is something to celebrate. For the adults - there are lots of oldies but goodies music-wise that you'll appreciate.

wendysue said...

Sorry I'm late in replying back on Happy Feet. . .the kids did like it but it was hard to sit through 2 hours of it. It was long. Also, I didn't appreciate the sexual inuendos (the "sexy" girl penguins had clevage!), and the bumping and grinding while singing questionable lyrics was not needed. I guess it had a good message, but it was definitely not a thumbs up for me. . .