Saturday, December 02, 2006

Joy to the World Concert

Tonight is our Joy to the World Concert in Woodside, NY. We have been organizing this since July, rehearsing it since September, and advertising it since Halloween. Last night we had our technical rehearsal, and everything is coming together nicely.

I am really excited about the variety of the performances. There are dueted violins, a guitar ensemble (including mandolin and bongo drum), vibraphone, guitar and soloist, adult and childrens chorus. I have been working most closely with the kids. They are so excited about the concert. In rehearsals it was like pulling teeth to get a little volume out of them, but as soon as they got on stage these past few rehearsals, they just stand there and practically scream out the music.

As their director, I have mixed feelings about this. I am glad that they are enthusiastic, but dismayed that the musical quality has been a bit compromised. I will have a chat with them at our last rehearsal this morning, in one last attempt to restore what we have been working on every Saturday morning since September, but in the end what will be will be.

Last night I really tried to sieze the opportunity given to me to perform my songs on a stage in front of a fake audience. It felt good to be under the lights again. I am looking forward to giving my message through song, to all those who attend tonight. I am especially excited about singing I Wonder as I Wander with the vibraphone.

It's gonna be great. Come on by if you're in the neighborhood...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there. It must be fantastic. I was in your choir this summer as a missionary. Now I'm in China...

Anonymous said...

Hope all went well and hope you're feeling better!

chloe said...

So how did it go? I've been thinking about you all day!

Kage said...

It went so well. I will post about it when I get a second to breathe....will probably upload a few photos too.