Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Picture a Christmas Concert

440 people traipsed through the cold and snow to attend my concert Sunday night. It was so nice of so many people to come and hear me sing. Some attending I had not seen in several years. It meant so much to me that so many people would attend. There was a whole team of people at the church who were organizing this event. There was a giant sign out front, newspaper ads, flyers, invitations, programs, and food.

I was nervous about this concert for a few reasons. First of all, I knew it had been highly publicized, and so many people were in high anticipation about my coming, even though they knew very little about me. Secondly, I knew it was at the end of a long weekend of talking and singing, so I was concerned about my voice holding up.

I slept in that morning, and went to the 1 o clock session of church. As soon as I got there, I almost fell asleep. I decided to go home for the next two hours of church to rest. I am really glad I did, because I took a much-needed nap. At around 4 o clock I got ready to go, ate some dinner, and warmed up. I met the kids choir at 5:30 and we had a great warm-up together, and after a few more moments alone, I felt ready.

I had to put away all the thoughts of self-doubt: I have never done a fireside like this before...am I ready? Will my voice hold up for the whole thing? Will I meet the crowd's expectations? Will I forget my words? etc. I put them away, and willed myself to enjoy the evening and be in control of the concert. I was calm, collected, and I did indeed feel in control of myself and my emotions, so I conquered my fears, and did the best that I could that night.

After an hour of performing, the fireside was complete, and I spent the next hour greeting audience members and signing my postcards. There were friends in the audience that I had not seen for many years, so it was nice to chat with them for a few minutes. I am looking forward to doing it again next season...maybe somewhere out west or in DC?...

2 comments:

chloe said...

I vote out west - come to CA baby - everyone is doing it!

I'm really proud of you. Congratulations for taking an idea and turning it into a fantastic reality.

Camdog said...

2 more votes for out west! Good job Kristy