Saturday, December 09, 2006

Young Naperville Singers Concert Dec. 8th

Last night I had the opportunity to sing with the Young Naperville Singers. This is a children's chorus that was organized 23 years ago. I was in YNS from 1987 to 1991. I have already written quite a bit about them on this blog, so I will just skip to the concert.

I sang White Christmas as a solo, and then all the kids and the audience joined in on the refrain. The pianist played the most beautiful arrangement, that was nice and slow and sappy. I really enjoyed singing it with her.

In the second act I sang Mozart's Laudate Dominum. I was more worried about this piece because it is not often I perform classical music in front of a live audience. During soundcheck I got used to the acoustics and the choir singing behind me, and so by the performance I felt good. I was happy with the way the number ended up. I am going to order a cd of the concert as a keepsake.

Being around the children in the hallways before, and during the concert, and then singing on stage with them was so inspiring. Kids have boundless energy and enthusiasm for what they are doing in their lives. After spending time with them, I thought....maybe I could handle having a son.

I got a chance to speak with the third grade chorus and the 10-13-year-olds. The questions they asked were so fun. What was your favorite tv show when you were our age? What is your favorite food to eat? Have you seen Wicked? How old are you? Do you want some free airline tickets?, because I can get you some, my dad works for the airlines.

It meant a lot to me to sing with these kids and hopefully inspire them to follow their dreams.

2 comments:

D said...

Did you catch that kid's name? I could really use some free airline tickets.

Keep the hits coming...

Aprilyn said...

I just found your blog by doing a Google Search. I really have to figure out how to search blogs. ANYWAY, I'm Aprilyn (Grubbs) Bucklein. My mom was Helen Grubbs, founder of YNS. How COOL that you sang with YNS. I wish I could have been there.
If you get any more offers for free airline tickets, send em' my way! :)