Monday, January 22, 2007

Drowsy Weekend

When I first heard the title of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE I had no interest in pursuing it further. Funny thing, the inside of the cd basically says the same thing. A potential producer did not pick it up to read it for over a year simply because of the terrible title. I thought the title stunk pretty bad too.

Then I went to see it. I went because my manager is trying to get me an audition for the show, and it's a good idea to have an idea of what you are auditioning for. She got me a ticket for Friday night. She has two clients in the show. They happen to be brothers, and also play brothers, the Tall brothers to be exact. They are short and totally polished and brilliant. Their names are Garth and Jason Kravitz. You might recognize Jason from his role on "The Practice".

What a gem of musical theatre. It takes place in a new york apartment. A sad man plays his favorite recording of the 1920's musical The Drowsy Chaperone to cheer himself up, and the entire show is played in his one room apartment. There is so much more to say, but I don't want to ruin it. If you get a chance--GO SEE IT. It will make you smile.

After the show I had a nice chat with Jason. He was so nice, open and generous and of course like all parents do, we talked mostly of our children, who happen to be of a similar age. Raising kids in the city is always a hot topic for me, and so it was nice to hear his take on it.

I don't know if I'll get the audition, but I would sure be grateful if I did, and it would be an amazing show to be a part of....so go see it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see it in April. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you liked it. I laughed my head off during the song "Bride's Lament".

It's a show that I feel I need to see again, because I can't get the experience back again just from listening to the soundtrack. The real show is in the dialogue -- particularly that of the Man In Chair.

marian said...

Looks adorable, I love the pictures on the site. So much fun! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get the audition, I know I'll be coming to NYC to see you on Broadway someday soon!

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken Sutton Foster (Janet) just got married to Troy Johnson (Roger). One of the well know Broadway DJ's on Sirius satalite radio interviewed Sutton before she got married. Your fun fact of the day. :)

Kage said...

anon, your fun fact is fun for two reasons:
1. Troy Britton Johnson plays Robert, and calling him Roger is actually one of the jokes in the show.

2. I thought to myself at one point: I don't think she really likes him...they have little chemistry.

Isn't that funny? But....she is SUSPICIOUS of him, and it is a 2-dimensional story, so that could be why. I actually saw him after the show and he was without her, so don't know what that's about.

Kage said...

just found out, Sutton is NOT married to her co star...phewsh what a relief