Sunday, January 07, 2007

Last performance of the season

This morning I had my last performance for the season. I sang just two songs at a Mass at St. Joseph's Catholic Church here in my hometown. My daughter goes to pre-K at the St. Joseph School, so I thought it would be nice to sing at the church.

I haven't been to Catholic Mass in quite a while, and so it was interesting to watch/listen/observe. It was I believe they called it a "high feast" day and also Three Kings Day, so it seems there were a few added rituals to the mass.

I really had to reign in my brain in order to sing, because whenever I am experiencing something new, my mind is wandering and questioning and taking a lot of information in. As a result, I made my first big flub of the season this morning. I sang: "The dead will live again, the lame will leap, la la la la, the praises of the lamb." Luckily I just went on as if those were the intended words to the song: the LA LA LA part of course. My DH said he didn't even notice, but let me just tell you, it was noticable.

The second song went just fine, and several people from the congregation thanked me for the music. The church was decorated so beautifully, with poinsettias, trees, wreaths and garland. I didn't realize that the Christmas celebration lasts past Christmas for the church. This (to me) explains why many people around here leave their Christmas decorations up for usually most of the month of January...at least that's the only reason I can think of. Mine are down by New Years Day for sure.

I felt content and satisfied today, upon completion of my "holiday tour" 2006, and I can honestly say that I am looking forward to next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is going to sound really weird, but I saw you on Runway Moms a couple of weeks ago and loved your haircut. I looked you up on their website to try and find a picture of you to take to my stylist. I really admired you on the show and just wanted to tell you. I am also a stay-at-home mom. Thanks!

Kage said...

Elizabeth, the majority of moms that email me after seeing RM, are asking about my hair cut. You can email me at kristy@kristyglass.com and I can send you some pix if you want to get it cut.

Julie said...

Kristy-
I am a friend of Natasha´s from Indiana, and currently living in Mexico in a predominantly Catholic area. They leave the decorations up through January 6 which is Three King´s Day. Children also recieve presents on this day. That is probably why the church was still decorated. It has been kind of fun to have it extended a little bit down here because there is still the excitement of the season in the air.

Julie