Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Idiotard

My husband has a slightly obsessive personality when it comes to certain things. For one, whenever I have a commercial of mine on DVD, he watches it over and over and over and over and over again.

Similarly, ever since we have bought the condo, we have to drive by it. We do this once or twice a week. It's not terribly close by...it requires either a highway path or an arduous local way. When we get to the building, we literally just drive by it. We don't stop, we don't slow down, we don't pull over, we don't admire, we just drive by and then go home.

During one of these drives it got exciting because there were all these people about. Soon I started seeing a theme. I deduced from my quick observations (remember, we don't stop or pullover, we just keep driving) that there were teams, costumes, shopping carts and utter madness. I SO wanted to pullover and ask someone what was going on...but alas...that is not part of the drive-by routine.


So, when I got home, I started googling like crazy. I don't know what finally worked, but I eventually figured out that what we had drove past was the finish line for the third annual Idiotard. A shopping cart race that starts in Williamsburg and ends in Long Island City. You can read all about it in this article

After reading about this shopping cart race, I decided I want to be in it. However, I am a little concerned about the following: The fact that the pit stops of the race are at bars, the fact that there is a lot of food-chucking that happens along the way, and where am I going to get my cart?

I would like to compete as a family team, but I am worried my children are a little too young, despite the fact that they are now the PERFECT size to push in the cart the whole way. It is also in January, which sounds painfully cold, if it's anything like today.

Maybe instead I will just dress us up and cheer everyone on at the finish line, since it is RIGHT by my new house....and keep my eye out for a shopping cart, for future races.

More pix.



5 comments:

D said...

If you decided to enter the race, how would you decorate your shopping cart?

tracy m said...

CSI-NY just did a show with the Idiotard in it! By the way, Idiotard is the BEST name ever. Have fun if you decide to do it- sounds like a blast.

Linzerdoodle said...

I have never heard of this. I want to do it too!

Kage said...

D, well of course, superheroes comes to mind....but I would also be into something that works with coats ON....but if I was going to compete the cogs would be turning in my head about it for a long time.

abby said...

I read the article and it turns out the real name is the idiotarod, but I think the idiotard is so much better. I think I am going to add that to my vocabulary from now on.
Thanks Kage for a great new word!!