Wednesday, March 07, 2007

5 years ago today...



Darling Firstborn,
I cannot believe that it has been 5 years since you were born. I know in the blink of an eye I will be writing: I can't believe it's been 25 years since you were born.

Thank you for making me a mother. You introduced me to this world with such kindness and gentleness. You are so full of love. You share it and take it with open arms. You are a wonderful example to me of unconditional love. I admire your ease at friendship and your openness to the world and learning.

I am so full of joy when I watch you try, fail and succeed. I love watching you discover, explore and use your imagination. It brings me such pleasure to listen to you sing and watch you dance, all with such grace and freedom.

You take such good care of your little sister. I am so proud of you when you comfort her and care for her, and teach her something new. I am really looking forward to watching you blossom into a beautiful bouquet of a human being. Thank you for putting up with your very-flawed mother, and forgiving me all my mistakes. I love you very much.

Love, MOM

8 comments:

Dad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
E-Dawg said...

Happy Birthday, Darby. I can truly say that I knew you when you were just a hope, and you were gorgeous even then. That was a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I cried as I read it and thought of my own daughter who will be 11 on Sunday. I am a contractor in Afghanistan, and have not been home in nearly a year. I have missed the last two birthdays of both of my children and that makes me sad because they do grow up so fast. Fortunately, my wife is a SAHM and we homeschool our children so they get a lot of love and attention even though I am temporarily absent.

Thank you for sharing your note to your daughter. I think I will do something similar on my blog for mine. I am glad she (and my son) made me a father. I can't think of anything I would rather be. They are the light of my life.

You have a beautiful family.

Take care,
Rob

Corinne said...

I love it. On my kid's birthdays, I give them a picture book and write a similar letter on the inside cover. They love to read their "birthday letters" from Mom before the story. :)

Dad said...

Happy Birthday lil D. I love you...and Kristy says I never contribute to her blog...DH

Samyo said...

Happy Birthday lil D! Can't wait to see you in a few days.

"A" squared said...

Happy happy birthday D!! :)

Linzerdoodle said...

I love that girl.