Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Back

This trip to Orlando was my second or third time in the past 6 months that I have traveled alone. 2 out of the 3 times, I missed my family. I know it seems strange, but there is something about the absence of the goodnight kiss that really jars me. Usually it is quite unceremonious, the goodnight kiss, but it's absence was felt very strongly last night.

Enough for the mushy stuff.

I went to Orlando for the Organon Convention. I think about 800 people were there to do what pharmaceutical people do at a convention...I have no idea what that is.

My role was to be the live Nuvaring girl. They set up a Nuvaring mini-set that basically had the word NUVARING in neon blue lights, and there was a photographer, and the Nuvaring Sales Reps would take photos with me, and one other model.

At the convention they introduced another Nuvaring Girl...she's the girl in the materials that the reps give the doctors...so it was the two of us with a wide variety of folks from all across the United States. I was glad that she was there, because then we could both talk about how interesting the whole experience was. Her name is Sabrina, you can see her in an Aquafresh commercial right now, and if you go to their website, she is the model for EXTREME CLEAN.

Anyway, the reps for Nuvaring had 3 things to say/ask over and over again:
1. You look younger in person.
2. You look prettier in person.
3. Do you use Nuvaring? (This was a very common question from the ladies.)

Well, not that my birth control methods are anyone's business, but I answered honestly, and I think this sincerely dissappointed a lot of the reps (you can guess what my answer was). And it prompted them to go into a full-scale PITCH of Nuvaring. It was nice to see the passion they had for their product, and as rep after rep told me that they are users, it lent itself to a visual that I just didn't need, thank you...which is why I think it is a good idea, in general to avoid topics like contraception, when meeting someone for the very first time.

But hey, this is what they do, and this is what they love, and I probably would have asked the same thing...

Orlando was just too spread out for me, ironically making me feel quite claustraphobic. I am glad to be home, I can breathe again.

5 comments:

Rachel H said...

That's funny!

Corinne said...

I guess I don't so much love talking about my birth control choices with strangers. What a bizarre experience!! You're living the life Kage :)

Anonymous said...

Kage,

Glad to hear that Orlando went well. You lead such an exciting life.

I have a question for you - please feel free not to answer this as it is more of a personal question (no - not about birth control;)). I have admiring your amazing ability to balance work, home, a DH, and especially children. It just all astounds me! You're amazing! So my question for you is this: How did you know that it was time for you to start having children? I've always said that I would not have kids for a long time (we're the same age btw)but now that most of my friends are begining to have them I'm starting to have that "itch". To be honest I'm very scared (though most of it is financial), but I know that they are the most joy we will ever experience.

So - my dear Kage - now that I've written you a novel, what would/do you suggest (assuming that you are going to answer this - I won't be offended if you don't)?

Thanks SO very much!
Have a great NYC night!

onehm said...

I totally miss the goodnight kiss too! Love your stories!

Kage said...

anon, I guess I am fooling you about the great balancing act. I try my best...but it's not always perfect. How did I know it was time? Well, the church lady in me would say...pray about it.

But if you are not a church lady, then I would say there are not many good reasons (in my opinion) to wait...(poor health is a good reason to wait).

As far as finances...a few ideas:
1. Try living below your means. Take a few months and save one (I am assuming both you and DH work) entire income, and only live on the income of the person who will stay in the workforce after the baby comes. See if you can manage...b/c it would be great if you could stay home (if you want to), or take some significant time off, say a year or two.

2. Also, remember that you don't have to have ALL THE STUFF that every baby mag/company tells you you need. I never owned a changing table, had just a very plain rocker for my first, no rocker for my second, and bought a lot of items second hand or on ebay (snuggle nest, boppy, bumbo, stroller etc.), also got my high chair on a super sale at Target for $9.80...

3. Breastfeeding saves TONS, b/c formula is expensive.

4. It is worth the sacrifice to have a baby. You aren't going to be going out to eat every weekend like you used to, so that money can pay for the diapers!

My last piece of advice is to remain Queen of your house. Little baby does not move in and rule the roost, they are just your new accessory, and keep doing everything you used to, starting as soon as you can (3-4 weeks), and that baby will adapt and love life. And DO pay big $$ on your baby carrier, I love my bjorn.

good luck.

for more mommy/baby stuff you should visit another blog where I contribute, you can click on it on the sidebar: Tales from the Crib, in fact, I might post this response there too...