Sunday, March 11, 2007

Fun in the Sun

It feels strange to be in very sunny, warm and dry California with the mother of all sinus infections. I cannot recall a time when I have been constantly wiping up the snot from my toddler's nose while she digs in sand on the beach..being sick and being at the beach just doesn't go together.

On the bright side, it is nice to be out and get our winter fill of Vitamin D. Although I could do without the smell of sunscreen and the sand in the scalp, I am enjoying the break.

See, the past several times we have tried to do a sunny destination in the winter, the weather has absolutely NOT cooperated. We were in Arizona during record low temparatures (I wore PANTS to church for the first time in my life while in arizona, and I grew up in CHICAGO!). When we tried the Bahamas cruise, we were wearing sweaters on the beach. Nobody told me that December = winter there as well. Even last February we were totally underdressed for our Disneyland vacation.

But tomorrow it is going to be 90 degrees. Yup. Hot, sweaty, sunscreen four times a day, gulping water, HOT. It will be a perfectly draining Disney day.

It has been so nice to be with our friends who we miss so much. Tonight we had a birthday party for my big girl. 3 other families came, all of who used to live in my hood and now live in CA, and we ate great food and conversed just like old times. Finding true, amazing, fun friends is such a blessing, and so rare, that it was great to just remember the good old days for an afternoon. We took a nice photo of all of us as a keepsake of the night. I had this idea that we should all close our eyes for one picture, just like Earl in My Name is Earl. It is the BEST picture. Everyone should take pictures with their eyes closed, while grinning, it's hilarious.


3 comments:

Tandy said...

90 degrees!?!?!? I'm going to be in Southern California on Wednesday and Thursday. We're doing Disney on Thursday. 90 degrees is too hot! Yikes!

Sounds like you're having a great time.

marian said...

sniff, sniff. I miss you guys! :-) Can't wait to see the pictures, hope Disney was everything D ever could wish for!

Beth said...

It was SO great to see you. I hope you travelled safely (and tantrum free) back east. Always let us know when you are out here.