Friday, March 16, 2007

Home Owner

It's official. I just got home from closing on our first condo purchase. I told my husband, it was like renewing our vows. I signed my name and initials so many times I said, "we are NEVER getting divorced."

It is a nice feeling to know that we have been working towards this goal for almost 9 years, and it has finally come to fruition. I always knew I would be a homeowner one day, but I never imagined that home to be a 2-bedroom condo in Queens!

As we walked home in the sleet/ice/hail storm that has descended upon our 64 degrees from yesterday, we held hands and bowed our heads against the wind. Walking through that storm together, hand in hand was the perfect metaphor for what we have been through and the life that is ahead of us. Together, we can do anything.

Now begins the moving in part. Tonight I will go over to the new digs and clean and tape for tomorrow's painting job. I am looking forward to our new bedroom and the light periwinkle blue walls. It will be so soothing.

Also this morning, right before the closing, I had an audition for the 1st National Tour of the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, the part of Rona. I feel that it went well, so that was a nice beginning of our closing day.

9 comments:

marian said...

Oh yay oh yay oh yay! I'm so excited for you! Congratulations, I know how huge it feels to sign all that paperwork and hand over all that money.

Be sure to take many many many pictures!

Anonymous said...

What a grand accomplishment! It is an exciting milestone to celebrate. Now the real fun begins. New beginnings are so refreshing!
That is one of the anniversaries we celebrate on April Fool's Day (the date we first met each other, the date I signed for our home to be ours) Love, kj

Linz said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

"A blessing on your house!" Congratulations! I know exactly how you're feeling as we just made our first home purchase in November. I know you will enjoy every moment of every day in the new condo.

As a side note - "Spelling Bee" is SUPER funny! Have you seen the show yet? Over Christmas my family saw it in Chicago. One of my brothers (was a theater major as well) was picked to be "in" the show as we walked into the theater. He's a very good speller. The cast couldn't get him to spell a word wrong. Finally he was given some impossible word, obviously got it wrong and was booted off. Very funny and memerable! Keep us updated on this prospect! You would be great in it!

tracy m said...

Congratulations! Nothing like your first house! Have fun with it...

Suzanne said...

Congrats on the new condo! Serious accomplishment-especially in NYC. I feel like I'll be renting forever!

Julie P said...

"May your home always be too small to hold your friends."

Don't remember where I heard that but I love it. Congratulations on the milestone.

Corinne said...

Congrats!!!

TftCarrie said...

"May your home always be too small to hold your friends."

But not too small that we can't come crash on your floor!

Congrats on this monumental accomplishment. I am very excited for your family!