Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thank you Angela

Here is how the story goes:

Angela's son had to go to the bathroom. So, he went to the bathroom at the park at IS #10 in Astoria. He came out and said to his mom: "Mom, there is a school bag in there!"

So, his mom went in and noticed that it was not a school bag but a woman's purse. She picked everything up and put it back in the bag. She called my dentist trying to find out who I am, she went to the address on my license to see if I lived there. Finally, she found my postcards from my Christmas CD, which I carry with me as a business card.

And then she googled me and found my blog and commented with her phone number. I called her and she was so nice and gracious and helpful. She said my ID, SS card (I know, I won't carry it on me anymore), and keys were still there. Unfortunately, hours earlier I had paid $280- to have the locks changed, simply because the name of my condo, the address (on a letter from the owners), and the unit number (written on my key for the super's purposes) were all very available to the crook, and that was basically an invitation to come on by and take more stuff.

I am meeting her this morning after I drop off my daughter at school, and I will see if there is anything else there that would have been really inconvenient to lose...after I spray it all down with some Lysol of course.

Thank you Angela....unfortunately since I just threw a considerable amount of money away in repairing this damage (new phone, new car window, new locks etc.), I have nothing to give you by way of reward, but I think I will bring you my CD, especially since the postcards for it saved the day.

15 comments:

Kage's Mom said...

I don't believe it!

Suzanne said...

A miracle in Astoria! I am so happy that the story has a happy ending.

chloe said...

That's just unbelieveable....

Miracles in NYC - they DO happen...

Ashley said...

Wow that really is a miracle!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE CERTAINLY WELCOME--GLAD I WAS ABLE TO HELP--I WISH YOU THE BEST FOR YOUR AND YOUR FAMILY AND A SUCCESSFUL CAREER-- YOU ARE CERTAINLY TALENTED

Samyo said...

I was ready to book a ticket to NY and show whoeva stole this purse whats up. I called the phone and texted it after I found out about your story and lets just say my messages to the thief were not pretty. hahaha really though, thats sweet you got the purse and some remains back and what a story.

Cheryl said...

YAY!!

marian said...

WAY TO GO ANGELA! Thanks for being a hero for Kristy in this horrible experience. Not everyone would go to the lengths you did to get her belongings back to her, so kudos to you for perservering.

Keryn said...

Excellent! I'm so glad that this happened--Angela, you and your son are amazing!

wendysue said...

Yippee!
Angela is totally your new BFF!!
Definitely a Yay! After yesterday's BOO!!

TftCarrie said...

The real question is, was your MAC gift certificate still there? Or is the thief going to have some new killer eye shadow for this season.

Beth said...

Oh, I am so glad. And I think it's good you went ahead and changed your locks, even if it was expensive.

LJ said...

What a relief! What a great example Angela was for doing that.

Melissa said...

I had the same question as Carrie - what about the MAC card?
Hooray for Angela - very resourceful!

Kage said...

What was missing? My phone, headphones, 2 debit cards, 1 credit card and MAC gift certificate. He did not take my Bloomingdales Credit Card or my gift certificate to my salon (around $200-)...I guess that was too specific and local.

My daughters were happy to have Thumbelina and Mary POppins DVD's returned safe and sound.

I pulled out my compact at church yesterday and it was all broken and I was like: When did that happen? OH...
I kept everything that was returned except the purse, just a bad memory, so in the trash it went.