Thursday, March 22, 2007

Third Person Thursday

She was grateful that it happened on a Thursday, because it is easier to write about it in third person when it is raw.

She was making progress on her condo, feeling good about everything. The weather had gotten so nice in just a few short hours. Her audition was so great this morning, she was there and back in almost half the time it took from her old apartment, and the baby had behaved the whole time.

The new bed she ordered came today, a few days earlier than expected...she thought about putting it together to surprise her husband when he got home from Boston, but the instructions said 2 PEOPLE REQUIRED, so she decided that she better wait for another helper.

The afternoon passed along fine, the Super visited to fix the crazy washer, and soon it was time to pick up her daughter from school. She parked on the street a little over a yellow line that indicated a driveway, but she figured she would be back so quickly, that she need not worry about it. She passed a guy sitting on a front stoop who looked like he needed brightening. She smiled and said hi, to no response.

She picked up her daughter and had a moment of pride as she remembered the parent teacher conference she had had early that morning, that reminded her that she has a pretty great kid as a daughter. The kids played in the school yard, just a half black away from where her car was parked. She took a little extra time to let them play and to talk with some of the moms that she hadn't talked to since it got COLD...

As they walked to the car she said to the girls: "Let's go to the playground....and let's call some friends and see if they want to go with us."

As they approached the car they saw the shattered window. She thought:" Is that my car? Yes, that's my car. Goodness, there must have been an accident. Oh no, that was no accident, that was done on purpose. Was it because I parked a little over the yellow line and the driveway owners were disgruntled?

MY PURSE.

My purse was in the front passenger seat.

Why did I leave my purse in plane sight on the passenger seat?

Because I do this everyday, and sometimes I bring my purse and sometimes I leave it in the car, because the neighborhood is full of people especially at this time of day with school being out and it being 60 degrees, and I am only gone for 10 minutes.

I need to call someone.

My phone. My phone was in the purse.

What else was in my purse?

My WALLET."

She turned around and rang the first bell she saw. The ladies there kindly let her use the phone to call 911. Given the condition of her car window and the absence of her purse, she immediately thought of the number: 911. The cops came speedily but there was no formal report filed because this was a crime that happens all the time and it was her stupid mistake.

Everything started unraveling. She realized that her keys to her new condo were in the purse...with the name of the building in big block letters on the key ring, and her unit number taped to the key. Brilliant. No extra copies, husband in Boston, no way to get in. Also brilliant. She thought of the guy on the stoop...why didn't he stop it? She was pretty sure it was because he did it.

She drove to her friends house, who she was going to invite to the park and instead she called all the numbers, researched all the options, and waited. While she waited she blogged. And sobbed.

16 comments:

onehm said...

Oh that is just horrible! Why is it that the day can start out so beautifully and then in an instant change to a really awful one?
I'm so glad that none of you were hurt!
Good luck...

wendysue said...

Yuck. Awful. I hate that feeling. You're right, it's raw. I had my car broken into when I was in high school (I was gone on a ski trip--I had taken everything out, perhaps that's why they were so mad once they got into it).

I also had my purse stolen (the WORST) after I had left it at a restaurant (under my chair). . .I came by the next morning to of course, pick it up and . . ."oh, we didn't find any purse."

I hated that. Cancel everything. Replace everthing. Change everything. Credit cards, membership cards, even the temple recommend. I still don't have a replacement SS card. I would have paid them $300 dollars to not have to replace all of that. And I think I maybe had $10 cash in there (OH, and all my new baby pictures--I hope they enjoyed those.)

I'm glad you were all ok, hopefully there are more fun park-playing days in your future.

Cheryl said...

Oh, kristy!! I am so, so very sorry. I really hope that by some miracle that jerk will feel bad and bring you your stuff. I know, that sounds stupid, but weirder stuff has happened...
I wish you the best in the next few days and that everything will turn out okay...

Linz said...

OH MY GOSH! Kage, ugh, ugh, ugh. I'm so sorry and it WILL get figured out. I wish I could be there to help out.

Suzanne said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...I am SO sorry that that happened! I really can't believe it. A miracle could happen...I will pray for a miracle. Best of luck and change the locks on your apartment to be safe. (I am sure you have five million other things to deal with. Such a pain.)

chloe said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NO! Oh hon, i'm so sorry. Really really sorry....

marian said...

THAT SUCKS. There's no other way to put it. I'm really sorry. I'm glad you were able to go to someone's house and tackle the problem together, hope that you're back in your apartment by now and feeling safe.

Corinne said...

I am so horribly sorry that happened. I wish I had something more helpful to say.

Ashley said...

I am so sorry that happened!

Proud Daughter of Eve said...

GEH. Poor you! *sends good thoughts and prayers*

Kage said...

Thanks everyone...I am doing ok tonight....counting my blessings

Anonymous said...

please call me Ifound your purse 646-427-5685

ANGELA

Natasha said...

this calls for a "pooooooooorrrrrrrr babbbbbbbbbbyy" That's what my good friend Darci would say anyhow. I am sorry this happened! Glad you and the girls are ok. And I really do hope that Angela in the previous comment found your purse

Melissa said...

was that anon real? did your purse get found?

Bek said...

Me too... that is the worst. I am so, so sorry.

LJ said...

I am so sorry that happened. How frustrating that situation must have been- especially without your hubby there and trying to be strong for your kids. This experience will ultimately make you stronger in the long run. I too keep EVERYTHING in my purse and sometimes leave it on the front seat for a few minutes in a locked car- thinking nothing of it. It's disgusting how many dishonest and greedy people are out there. I hope that you do find your purse and get everything returned to you...

Keep your chin up- this too will pass! On a brighter note, I love reading your blog often and your energy and optimism inspires me. You are such a beautiful person- inside and out. Best wishes and I hope everything turns out all right!

Thanks for the quotes of inspiration on Tales, too. As a mommy of four, I love reading that blog and appreciate all the advice and fun stories that are shared.

~ Lynn G-J from Naperville :)