Yesterday I went to the supermarket. For the first time, I remembered to bring at least one of my own bags. I used it to put my produce in while shopping, and then packed it with as many groceries as I could. I figured I saved at LEAST 3 plastic bags by using my own bag. I also decided to NOT double bag the remainder of my groceries, saving 3 MORE bags. And of course, I saved the 2 produce plastic bags that I would have put my broccolini and red pepper in.
I have decided to gradually add green items into my life, mostly because I can't afford to replace ALL of my current cleaning supplies and buy ALL new reusable grocery bags. I happened to have this green one (and I actually have one other, but it is occupied right now), and I hope to add to my collection. I have been researching. I think I will buy these ones.
Also this week I put in 5 light fixtures that contain energy-saving bulbs, and at the store today I bought my first CFL light bulb. I would have probably picked up one more, but they only had one.
I have been counting the ways that I am currently green:
1. I don't use many napkins (call me a slob)
2. I am going to stop taking my receipts at Metrocard Machines and ATMS (thank you lady on Oprah)
3. I re-wear clothes a lot before washing them, especially if I have only worn them a few hours.
4. I am in a good habit of turning off lights.
5. I am in a good habit of running my electronic heater/air conditioner as little as possible.
6. When the weather is agreeable, I exercise outside instead of on an electronic machine.
7. I don't run the tv for background noise.
8. I have appliances that I don't use very often, unplugged.
9. I use public transportation a lot.
10. I recycle everything that is recyclable (and probably some things that are not...oops)
11. I reuse shopping bags and grocery bags as much as possible. My favorite uses for the plastic grocery bags (that soon I won't have around the house) are for airplane trips, I collect my kids garbage in them throughout the flight, and then throw it all away at the end, and to collect my recyclables during the week. And if I had a dog, I am sure the bags would be used for the poop.
So Save the Earth, join the bandwagon, and do something green today.