Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm a Believer



She first heard about it on Oprah. Dr. Oz explained how the benefits were sometimes better than medicine. As an allergy-sufferer and chronic Sinusitis-er, she paid close attention.

Ever since she saw it on tv, she kept her eyes peeled for one. Where would she find it? Duane Reade, CVS, Whole Foods? Should she get this one on the internet?

On Set on Tuesday, after a few days of water adventures with Eebee, she could smell and feel the mildew from the carpet, lodging it's way into her sinus cavity. At lunch, she was on a mission: OPERATION LOCATE AND PURCHASE NETI POT.

She tried Health Nuts. She was successful. She brought it back to the set and mixed the solution. She went out to the street where there was an experienced neti-potter relaxing in the sun.

She held the pot in her right hand, and a pyrex measuring cup in her left. She squatted so that she could get the instructions from her friend sitting on the step. And right there on 67th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, she neti-potted for the first time.

At first it felt like that somersault-under-the-water feeling, but instead of the cold, harsh chlorine feel, it was more of a warm and calming feel. When the saline went in the right nostril, there was a 3 or 4-second delay before it came out the left nostril. She felt a great sense of satisfaction for succeeding in this.

When it was over, she had wished she had a kleenex, because many of the folks on 67th Street saw her boogers...and though she didn't mind, she's thinking, they probably did.

After some nose-blowing and 5 minutes of recovery, suddenly she could breathe. She felt so energized by this, she started leaping and singing on 67th Street: "I can Breathe! I can Breathe!"

She was so convincing, the Director of Photography wanted a hit. She made her DH do it later that night too...they both had a little trouble getting saline in their throat...her only leakage happened through her eye. She didn't care though, because SHE COULD BREATHE.



9 comments:

Natasha said...

i absolutely LOVE the neti-pot! I am glad you are a fan. I hope everything is going well in IL!

ReeSesPcS said...

This is great! I saw it on Oprah too and immediately thought my husband needed it! I'm glad to see a trusted source use it and it works. I'll have to pass on the word.

Melissa said...

Have you tried the Ear Candle yet? That's a personal fave.

tracy m said...

Now THAT is a picture! I love my Neti pot, too. Allergy sufferers unite...

Eric said...

OK, this is good timing... my sinuses are all screwed up from a recent cold and now they're completely killing me since swimming with my scouts last night.

I've got a race on Saturday and this is unacceptable... so I'll be performing some neti-pot experimentation of my own tonight.

Thanks for the tip!

Melody in MN said...

I used to have a Neti Pot but I broke it on my tiled bathroom floor when I dropped it! So, when I went to find a replacement, I ended up at Walgreens and purchased the Sinu Cleanse. It is just like a Neti Pot but it is plastic, and perfect for a klutz like me, and it is about half the price of the Neti Pot, if I remember correctly! They also have these great little Sinu Cleanse saline solution packets that you can purchase. It is basically regular salt, but there is something else in it too...and for whatever reason, it stings my nostrils way less than the regular salt and water mix. When I use the packets, I just use probably 1/3rd of a packet at a time, otherwise it is way too strong. I had a terrible allergy fest a few weeks ago and used my Sinu Cleanse 3x a day along with some Guaifinisen (cough syrup) (sp?) and a few tablets of regular old Pseuodophedrine, and what normally would've turned into a massive sinus infection was gone in just a week! It was wonderful. Just thought I'd let you know! Happy sinus cleansing...

onehm said...

Kind of a wild photo! Seems interesting, I've never heard of this before! Thanks for sharing.

Liz&Meg said...

You can also use a good ole bulb syringe (aka baby bugger sucker) and get similar results. And if you make your own solution, use pickling or canning salt rather than table salt (less preservatives=less sting, referring to an earlier comment) plus baking soda also makes it more cleansing.

PamperingBeki said...

Ack!!!

Hahaha! I cannot believe you got a picture of yourself doing that.

I saw it on Oprah also, but it just seems like it would be a drowning feeling. I don't suffer from sinus problems though, so I don't know the frustration you must've had before trying it.

Good for you for trying something new! :)