Friday, June 08, 2007

12 oz. Coca Cola Classic

6/8/07

In my refrigerator there are two sizes of coke cans: 10 and 12 oz. The 10 oz. are for those little emergencies throughout the day, when I need a little pick me up. The 12 oz.ers are for when you are having THAT kind of day....which would be today...and it's only 2:06 PM

My older daughter woke up this morning, NOT herself. She actually wasn't QUITE herself yesterday, but I chalked it up to a pizza party Tues. night and a Picnic Wed. night (all for her new school...my are there a million things going on with THAT right now), and smaller amounts of sleep than usual, two nights in a row.

This morning it was worse...she was lethargic, a little warm, and could not get her head off the pillow. She was booked for a job at 3, and it was Beach Day Fun Friday at school, so I gave her some Motrin, asked if she wanted to push through and she said YES. We wrote the teacher a note letting her know she might not make it, and to call us if anything happened.

I went on with my day, exercised for the first time in several weeks, and went to my first eye appointment in a few years...LOVED my new doctor, did relatively well considering I had my beautiful, naughty, curious, trouble-making, lovely, naughty toddler with me.

While there my doorman called saying the cable man was at my building....uh, they told me I didn't need to be there for this appointment, but I will be home at 11: 15 (15 minutes later), to let him in if necessary.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, older daughter's teacher called: "Your daughter fell asleep at her desk.." Ok, on my way. When I received her she was HOT HOT HOT, so I called the agent and said: we can show up for the job if it is putting them in a bad spot, but she is really not prepared to work today.

We called the doctor, we could go in 45 minutes, so to kill time, and cool off the girl, we went to Wendy's...she couldn't even eat more than 3 bights of her favorite FROSTY. Sister ate all her mandarin oranges and then spilled the juice all over my feet and flip flops...so sticky me and the kids got back in the car and headed to the doctor.

103.5 temperature and strep throat. Lovely. Little sister informed me she has to poop, in my usual haste to help her in making this happen, we flew into the bathroom, I quickly pulled down her pull-up and PLOP goes a giant piece of poo on the bathroom floor, and there is poo up her back, down her legs, on her shorts and shirt.

Wonderful.

The nurse has only newborn size diapers on hand. NOT gonna work...have you seen my kids butt?

So, I ask her for some stuff, and after FANTASTIKING all the surfaces where the poop touched, and wiping up all of her pieces and parts, I put the soiled pull-up BACK ON, because I didn't have any with me, because I wasn't supposed to be out THIS LONG.

Now I have a kid with a shirt with a little poo on the back, a soiled pull-up, and sandals, and a sick sick big girl.

We found parking for the pharamacist. I put big girl in the stroller b/c she is THAT sick, and as soon as I did, it tipped over and she got a HUGE goose-egg on the back of her head. It was ALL my fault because I had positioned the stroller in the well of a tree, and it was unstable. I rushed into the bakery that was right there and demanded ice and then heard those words: "MOM, I have to throw up!" I ran to the nearest trash can and pulled off the lid....she did, and it wasn't that bad...then I took the ice, offered to change the garbage bag, made some comment about why my little one was ONLY wearing a pull-up on the bottom, and left. I can't IMAGINE what they thought of us.

The pharmacist took 7 minutes. I love you STEINWAY PHARMACY!!!!

I then returned to the bakery to thank them and bought a loaf of challah bread that I downed on the way home.

And now I am drinking my 12 oz. coke.

16 comments:

wendysue said...

Oh my, a WELL DESERVED coke. Drink up momma.

Gedde Adventures said...

Wow Coca Cola is what I reward myself with on days like that... OH my gosh, you deserve that coke!!!

Suzi said...

Oh my gosh-what a crazy day! Why does stuff like that always have to happen ALL on the same day. One day/one problem at a time would be nice-then maybe you could stick with the 10oz.ers.

TftCarrie said...

Yikes! One of those days. Your kids and strep and like my kids and ear infections.

chloe said...

OH MYLANTA. What a day...whew. Truly a bad day on all fronts.

Drink up a little extra - you deserve it.

PamperingBeki said...

Oh you poor thing!! I'm not an alcohol drinker, but I think I'd have to add a bit of somethin' to my coke after a day like that. ;-)

Kage said...

pamperingbeki...seriously, I am like: Can I JUST get a little red wine PLEASE?

But alas...

Kage said...

carrie, I think my older daughter is especially susceptible since I catch her licking a lot of random items...the other day she pushed the elevator button with her tongue....in NYC......

I am not ok with that.

Rane said...

WHAT A DAY!!! It's so not funny but I could not help but chuckle because it reminds me of the days when collin would yak all over himself and carseat in the middle of rush hour traffic on our way to daycare/work. AND...the licking thing...I don't know why kids must lick...collin does it too...makes me CRAZY!!! Everyone says it's a phase...well I'm very ready for this phase to END...lol

hope your day gets better and that D feels better soon.

gramakas said...

Honestly that is just TOOOOOOOO much for one day and one mom!! You are an amazingly fast quick-thinker and reacter; I think I'd have just collapsed after the pull-ups discovery! You need some chocolate to go with that Coke!

D said...

An extra 2 ounces is all you get for a day like that? I think I agree that you should get a healthy dose of chocolate on the side, then.

onehm said...

What a day! It seems like a day like that should happen on a Monday, not a Friday! Hopefully you all can relax this weekend and rest!

Kage said...

I just remembered one other funny detail. The eye doctor wanted to dilate my eyes which would have compromised my vision for about 4 hours. Something told me NOT to do it, so glad I didn't...can you imagine all of that WITH dilated eyes?

Melissa said...

Dilated eyes would have been catastrophic. WHAT A DAY.

Tandy said...

Oh dear! You need more than 12 oz. of Coke after a day like that. I hope your daughter gets feeling better.

ITA about the licking. What is with that? My twins have had a horrible stomach bug twice in a 4 week period. Prior to that I had enjoyed over 4 glorious years as a mom with no puking (a miracle, I know). Of course the twins are just barely 1, so their mouths are *everywhere,* but honestly! Who knew the edge of a table or highchair while we are dining out could be so satisfying to munch on. Yuck.

I hope your weekend is better!

KJ Miller said...

Motherhood is not for whimps is it? I have to admit I have tears in my eyes from laughing and feeling your pain. I hope all of you are doing better now.