Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Amazing Race

June 6th, 2006

Today we had a few random encounters that I found funny.

Encounter A:
Place: Times Square Subway Station
Time: Midday
I was looking particularly preppy with my white collar shirt under a blue vest and limish green anthropologie, extra-wide, bows-at-the-bottom capris and flip flops. I had my two very blond, blue-eyed children. We passed a group of African-American brothers who as a group, were one of those subway performing bands. One of them got in my face and said: "Where you from honey?" I said: "where am I from? Oh...chicago!" He gestured to his friend and said: "So-and-so is from Chicago!" His Chicago friend said: "SOUTHSIDE!, where you from?" I gestured with my arms in the air and said: "You KNOW where I'M from...." and then in unison he and I said: "NORTHSIDE!" His friend who intitiated the conversation got a BIG kick out of my response. And I said: "It's just the facts man! GO CUBS!" We had a good laugh.

Encounter B:
Once we got to my casting, there was a Dad there with his two kids that appeared to be the same age as mine. After we chatted for a few minutes, I realized that I had wrangled his kids along side my own for a Bundle Magazine (since gone out of bus.) photoshoot. He was Korean, and his children obviously had a darker-skinned mom. I watched his kids and he watched mine, and since the kids really hit it off, we walked out together. So, walking down the street was the Korean Dad, holding his darker-skinned son in his arms, holding hands with his daughter, who was holding hands with my daughter, who was holding hands with my other daughter, who was holding hands with me pushing the stroller. I imagined we were quite a sight. I said to him: "Right now, I am imagining what people are thinking of us, do they think we are a family, are they wondering how we got this combination of children, etc." It was kind of funny...

Encounter C:
For the first time in my life, I had to go into an audition with a LARGE spot of WATER all over my pants...thank you naughty two-year-old. Luckily it was quite FAR down my leg, and not in a more embarrassing place. The audition was for Listerine Whitening Quick Dissolving Strips, which I just did the industrial for last week, so I actually think that lessens my chances for some reason, because I think they want to use a different gal for the commercials...I'll blame it on that, and not the GIANT water stain all over my pants!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Ahhhh, New York is nothing if not a melting pot. Especially for families, right? :-)

Hey, I'm heading to BlogHer in Chicago for a big ol' blogging convention in July. Any recommendations for must-see activities in the downtown area? We're staying at the 'W' and the convention will be at the Navy Pier...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize your youngest was blonde...am I looking at the wrong kid???

Melissa said...

Love the subway encounter...I can totally picture it all going down.

Kage said...

anon, my older is blondER than my younger, but they are both light-colored....