Thursday, June 14, 2007

High Line

On Wednesday I was working near 10th Avenue and 26th Street. I looked out the window and beheld the elevated train tracks, all grown over with grass. I was intrigued.

I pointed them out to the stylist and she informed me that they were going to be building a park on the train tracks. AWESOME. I guess it's only the second in the world...

I don't live very close to this, but I am still really excited about it. You can read about it here, and make sure you click on the slideshow THE HIGH LINE PROJECT in the left-hand column.

4 comments:

marian said...

I remember reading about this years ago in the New Yorker, and thinking what a cool idea it was, wondering if it would ever happen. Glad it's getting closer to reality - a really interesting reclamation of space.

gramakas said...

I love that idea. It reminds me of the landscaping on the top of the Conference Center here... have you seen that? Very cool.

Linz said...

I'd be afraid of falling off, but it looks cool all the same.

jlk said...

Back in my 'hood of Vienna, VA, they converted the W&OD train tracks into a bike trail. I'm all for parks and making things accessible for all.