Sunday, June 03, 2007

Marathon Chasers

June 3rd, 2007



We headed to South Bend, IN on Friday. It took about 11 hours. Easy breezy. The kids were great, our new Acadia rocked, and the roads were clear.

That night we had a spaghetti dinner (gotta carb up!) with our Marathon-Runners, My Mom and Dad. We then swam in the hotel pool for about an hour and conked out in the hotel room.

The wake up call the next morning was for 5 AM. We rolled out of bed and headed to the starting line. It was actually pretty calm...everyone was stretching and preparing for the LONG LONG run ahead. After it started, we were on the go for the entire race, trying to find the runners and cheer on OUR runners as many times as possible in the 26.2 miles. For a second, I felt like Helen Hunt in TWISTER.

We consult the map, drive as close as we could to the route, spot the runners and then strategize where to park, and unload all of our camping chairs and snacks and just wait until we saw them. We did this at mile 7.5, 11.5, 14, 16 and 20. We JUST missed them at around 12 or 13. I was the only one that ran out of the car and cheered for one second. We also saw them as they rounded the corner after the start, at about mile .3 After we saw them at 20, we went to the finish line. This was the 50 yard line of the Notre Dame stadium. Walking from the parking lot to the stadium was H-O-T. We could not IMAGINE what they were feeling, running ALL that way in the sweltering heat.

We waited in the stadium. As marathoners finished, I got tears in my eyes. The time kept ticking. I knew they would finish, but I JUST wanted them to finish before they cleaned up. The crowds were dispersing, I heard an official say there were 2 dozen runners out there. Since we were some of the last people there, they let us out onto the field (official rules were that spectators stay in the stands), and even let my daughter have the medals to put around their necks.

Runner after Runner finished and we just kept waiting and watching. And then THAT MOMENT. They ran into the field, hand-in-hand and crossed the finish line. They MADE IT. They completed the marathon. After MONTHS of training, my parents DID IT. I was a mess....sobbing and screaming: YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! It was a pretty amazing moment; One I had been anticipating for quite some time, and it was better than I even imagined.

18 comments:

Corinne said...

Okay, so that made me a bit teary!! Clint would be SO THRILLED if I ever decided to run a marathon with him. What great examples to your kids (and you) of never giving up :)

Tamela said...

It made me cry too! How neat that you travelled there to support your parents, and what a neat thing for your kids to witness! Corinne, when you're ready to run with Clint, we'll take the kids (well, at least the older two -- I know Tufty prefers Cami and his grandmas!) and chase YOU TWO around the marathon route to cheer you on!

tracy m said...

Holy Wow!! That's amazing... what cool parents you have- and how fantastic you were all able to be there to cheer them on. Awesome!

Samyo said...

It really was a moment I'll never forget. I couldn't have been a prouder son this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am new and from London, England my name is Simone I'm a stay at home mum to my 1 year old daughter.

just wanted to say your parents are amazing and must be very fit..I'd love to do the marathon (one day maybe).

Kage said...

Welcome Simone....thanks for your comments.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for being so supportive/interested. It really was a great moment.....

marian said...

add me to the list of the teary. I'm so proud of them, and so glad you were able to be there to share the experience. Go mom and dad!

Ann said...

I adore your parents-always have-and it was fun to read this post and remember what wonderful people they are! And they crossed the finish line holding hands!!! yes, I got teary-eyed also! They are wonderful! Congrats to them!

Anonymous said...

How amazing is that? You seem like an awesome daughter to be there to support your parents like that. Just curious - is this the same father you spoke about in your last blog entry about forgiveness??
-CHRIS

Linz said...

Soooo awesome.

Kage said...

Chris, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>>>>>>>This is my DAD! He adopted my sister and me when I was 12. He is an amazing man!! ANd I am proud to call him my DAD!

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all of the Glass family for supporting us!And the Kennedy's and the rest of the clan!

There is nothing better than having little Olive grab our hands and yell, "come on! Come on!"

Love you all,

Kristy,Lindsay,Sam and Courtney's Dad.

delilas said...

I'm right there with you KAGE. My 15 yr old son ran one in Richmond VA last fall. We're all so proud of him. I love the pic of your little girls running with G-ma & G-pa. That is also great that you took the time and made the drive to go cheer and celebrate their accomplishment with them. I hope my kids do that for me when I do something wonderful:), it will have to be something different than a marathon. :D

lainakay said...

what an accomplishment! have to admit i'm a little teary after reading it, too. what a nice family story!

Anonymous said...

It was so great having all the Glasses and Sam there to be our personal cheerleaders. Thank you for coming! We could not have done it without them. We could feel the cheers from San Antonio and others as well. Thanks to all the blog readers for all your wonderful comments. I am still not over the whole experience. I came through the finish line with huge tears of joy! What a journey!
Kage's Mom

Anonymous said...

hey-this is christy from texas. stay at home mom of 2 also. (not alot of staying home). yeah to your parents. my dad died suddenly in february of a brain anyrueism. he was extremely healthy, a total shock and suprise. it's always great to see a wonderful parent/older child relationship. i miss that. i still have my mom though. anyways, very touching!

"A" squared said...

A M A Z I N G!

i LOVE the pic of your crazies holding Gma and Gpa's hands. Olive looks so happy and proud looking up at Gma!

GO Auntie Lisa and Unkie Doug!!

:)

JL said...

What an inspiration. Congratulations to runners 48 and 49 on a huge accomplishment!