Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Violins R Us

June 12, 2007

What a day! It started with an audition for Walmartopia, the musical. I wore my black skirt, white tee, blue vest and flip-flops, so that I looked Walmart-ee. I considered bringing the baby in on my hip, and playing up a single-mom, doesn't-have-a-babysitter character, but then nixed it. I sang a brief song, and then walked from 46th to 26th street for a live concert at Madison Square Park. A few friends with kids in tow, met us and we jammed to the Dirty Sock Funtime Band. It was so much fun.

We headed home for a change of clothes and a nap, picked up big sister, and met up with our babysitter.

Big sister and I headed into the city for a go-see for HSBC bank, for BOTH of us, and then we went uptown to SAM ASH music in the heart of Times Square to pick out the VIOLIN. THANKFULLY we missed a momentary downpour of rain. It happened in the 25 minutes we were on the subway. We saw so many drenched New Yorkers and were so happy we missed it, because we forgot our umbrellas, and we didn't want to get the violin wet.

We walked into the specially-humidified violin chamber and my daughter got the giggles just like the first time she met the Disney Princesses at Ariel's Grotto in California. She was so excited. A friendly employee, Steve, measured her and I was surprised to hear that she was measuring between 1/4 and 1/2. I was thinking she would need a smallish one: 1/16 or 1/10. We bought it! AAAAAAAAAAH! Now I just need all of her books to arrive from Barnes and Noble, and we will be good to go.

She starts her first lesson next Wednesday. Even though I wanted her to have this violin, I guess it shows we are more serious about it with our traditional brown one.

3 comments:

Linz said...

A pink violin would be sweeeet.

jlk said...

I love the Dirty Sock Funtime Band!

Melody in MN said...

That's hilarious about the Walmartopia musical...what a blast that would be! I lived in KY for awhile and when I went to a Walmart there, a guy named "JermBob" was helping me out...no kidding, that's what his nametag said! I giggled a lot over that.