Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wicked

June 23, 2007

I saw it tonight, for the second time. The first was a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago when it was still previews, with the original cast.

I hated it then.

Why? Well, I had read the novel, and a lot of great parts from the novel were, well, gone. In fact, I am pretty sure the entire ending was completely fabricated...but I will have to double check that.

Anyway, I had a hard time getting over the novel being so different from a Broadway musical. Just seeing it spelled out like that, it seems quite obvious that they might be a shade different...book, broadway show, book, broadway show...yeah, pretty different.

Anyway, tonight I got to see it again. And I was particularly interested because I worked with the Elphaba (Julia Murney) for 1 short week a few years ago, and when I heard she was in, I thought...Yes! She's perfect. And the gal playing Nessa (Cristy Candler), I see at auditions on occasion and we have become audition friends....so I was excited to see them, and they were amazing of course.

My fave though, was Galinda. Kendra Kassebaum was so funny. Her physical comedy....hilarious. She had this kick thing, that I just want to incorporate into my life now....loved it.

I think the highlight of my husband's night, there at Wicked, was seeing Tony Parker and Eva Longoria. Mostly, because they are a talking point EVERY NIGHT for Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon on PTI. If they talk about it, then my DH cares. He is not a Spurs fan, nor has he watched a microsecond of Desperate Housewives, but because the men talk Eva and Tony, he is a fan. They were just down the row from us, and one row behind. We had better seats then them...thanks zinone. My DH informed me that since they are wedding in just a few days in France, that they would logically be in NYC, as it is an easier flight there then from CA or elsewhere....or maybe I just made up that conversation in my head since the show started..it's very possible.

6 comments:

Corinne said...

Yeah, the entire ending WAS fabricated. Not the same at all - the show was MUCH happier :)

Linz said...

Tony and Eva were here last weekend! NBA champs and all that jazz...

Natasha said...

does Zinone still have wicked ticket connections? I'd love to take greg. Or is that over now that she lives on the other side of the world?

Anonymous said...

I know it's a touchy-ish subject, but you HAVE to take the girls to "Mary Poppins." Yes, I saw the London version and I hear this one has some changes, but it really is delightful. :o)

Hannah

Kage said...

I have already been thinking about the first Broadway experience. My daughter's BFF came last October and we had planned to see Poppins with them, but they coudn't get matinee tickets, and I didn't want her first show to be at 8 o clock (1 hour PAST her bedtime). I also thought she would love BEauty, but it's closing.

I am thinking right now to take her to the Little Mermaid when it opens, and until then, we continue to see a lot of children's theatre around town.

Jen said...

Yeah...Tony's words are gospel at our house too. It's like PTI is to them what Oprah is to us.