Friday, July 06, 2007

Gradually Going Green

I am visiting family in Illinois right now. My brother is leaving to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in less then 2 weeks. I will not see him for 2 years, so we are having some concentrated SAM time while we are out here.

If you want to see him opening his call:

If you want to read his blog, click here. But the only thing green about him is the fact that he might use a substantially smaller amount of electricity while he's missioning.

The real reason I am writing is because since I am here in Illinois, I have visited this grand establishment called the Morton Arboretum (named for the Salt peops). It is fabulous...not only for the amount of CO2 it's plants are contributing to the atmosphere, but also for it's very green parking lot. As we were walking out, my mom said: "you should blog about this!" So I am.

Basically, the pavement has holes in it, and below is 4 feet of gravel, which naturally filters the rain water, making it healthy to go back into the natural resources of water surrounding the area. If the water wasn't filtered, it would send harmful chemicals into the water and raise the water's temperature, etc. You can read all about it in the above link.

I think next the Arboretum needs to get one of those ECO-Restrooms. It would fit in SO WELL there.

As for the arboretum itself. All I remember from going as a kid was a whole lot of BORING. And today, 20 years later, it is anything but. Highlights include the Children's Gardens, Secret Stream, Maze, and the sculpture Xanadu. What a wonderful way to spend the day, and the price was right too.


12 comments:

Elizabeth S said...

What a cool thing to have on video! You all must be so excited for your brother. The arboretum looks really neat, too.

knittingirl said...

How wonderful for your brother - best of luck to him!
btw - where did you get that fabulous little wrap dress?? Love it!

Rhonda

onehm said...

I totally was going to ask the same thing about that adorable dress! Way to go, Sam! And the parking lot idea is so cool. Wish there were more of those here in our area. Very cool.

jmc4180 said...

please tell me where you got your oh so cute dress? i love it!

Kage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kage said...

Hey...it's just a wrap I got at Daffy's here in NYC...the brand I think is soundgirl....good luck...

Anonymous said...

your hair is so darn cute. how long are you going to let it grow out? also, i absolutely love your hair color but i was curious, have you ever colored it blonde?

Ann said...

i love the arboretum, to! Tyler always calls the arbortoreum. We used to go on drives through there on Sunday afternoons. So wonderful!

Ann said...

me, again. btw-i remember going to his baptism when i got home from school one year...when did he become old enough for a mission?!?! congrats, Sam!!

Kage said...

anon, I am trying to grow it long, we'll see how it goes....
ann, I know Sam is SO BIG.

Erinello said...

I haven't been to the arboretum in forever because I remember it being so boring. I'll have to try it again now that I'm an adult. :)

Was that you singing the national anthem at Ribfest?

Kage said...

not me singing....have fun at the arboretum!