Saturday, July 21, 2007

HARRY POTTER PLACE


Last night was so much fun. I kept thinking about J K Rowling and what she must think of this phenomenon, which has gone down in the history books.

Before I write about Soho's Party, I have to give a shout out to my hometown, which apparently goes ALL OUT for this stuff. They were expecting about half the town to show up yesterday, and I am sure they were right. And why not, the bookstore hosting it all, had all of this planned. I am so proud of this bookstore because Barnes and Noble moved in down the street several years ago, and they are still going strong!

My sister attended the Naperville bash, so I am looking forward to her report.

As for us, we headed downtown to the Scholastic Bookstore and the outdoor street party called HARRY POTTER PLACE, our handmade wands in hand...thanks Design Mom.

I thought going early would mean beating the crowds.

NOPE.

The line to the Knight Bus was pretty short. It was fun to stand there and take in all the fans. We got SEVERAL photos taken by Entertainment Weekly, so keep your eye out, just in case...and once we got to the bus, there wasn't much to see, just a tiny little interior...oh well.

Then we got hotdogs and strolled up to the entrance of the party, only to find there was a line a block and a half long. BUT, it didn't take any time at all to get into the party. I loved that Mercer street happened to be cobblestoned. I loved the little stuffed owls here and there. I loved the street performers and the fans. I loved the Womping Willow tree. We made wands and enjoyed the performances the most of everything. By the time we were interested in face painting, the line was pretty long, and my girls were getting sleepy, so we got ice cream and went home. I made a little video of the experience:

On our way out we saw the line forming to receive the book at midnight. The first girls in line had been there since 7:30 AM. Now, THAT's hardcore. I will be just as happy to hear my bell ring when the UPS man arrives tomorrow morning. Happy Reading.

13 comments:

knittingirl said...

Great video - I felt like I was there too! Looks like your girls had a great time...

Lisa said...

What fun!

Megan said...

That video is hard core! :) I felt like I was there!

Ashley said...

I LOVED the video!

Linz said...

Awesome!! Loved the narration at the end.

Kage said...

It's 11:11 AM....Still no book. I guess the UPS man knows I REALLY need to clean my house....off to the toilets!

Kage said...

11:30 AM. Arrived. On Chapter 2

knittingirl said...

On chapter 2 so quickly?? You're serious about this HP thing huh? Are the toilets suffering lol??

mkc said...

Awesome video! I loved the ending!

courtini said...

oh my gosh so fun. jealous of the bus and tree.
that video is wonderful!

ah im trying to take it slow...on pg 97. tyring to enjoy every single word.

ill call you soon. you finish fast tho so dont say ANYTHING!

marian said...

I agree, LOVE the narration at the end. Jim Dale is amazing.

Can't wait to talk about the book with you!

Kage said...

I can't wait to discuss either. I am over page 200....and still going.

akdoxey said...

OK, I really wish I would have gone. It looked like so much fun.