Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Today's Adventure: Bryant Park

I pass it a lot. I notice the white tents during Fashion Week. I have certainly been there once or twice...but for some reason, today I finally fell in love with Bryant Park.

My casting this morning went way long, and our plans to see the Paper Bag Players in Madison Square Park got trashed. By 11 we were all hungry so we got sandwiches in Times Square, but there is no where to pop a squat there, so we headed to the nearest park: Bryant.

We ate our lunch, and then spotted the beautiful, tiny carrousel. My older daughter had been on it several years ago, so we figured it was time to go again. It was so nice...the girls loved it. I got a little dizzy b/c it's diameter was not ideal...kind of small. It was fun to see the city that way though...round and round.

Then we headed over to the fountain to cool off our arms and toes. Not me, the girls. And as we were heading to the subway, stopped to observe a little Petanque...a game that looked like bocce ball, but wasn't. Then I spotted something...RACKS of books. I figured it was a STRAND booksellers kiosk....but no!

It was the Bryant Park Reading Room! Are you kidding me? How did I not know about this? You enter the "room" and you can read whatever is on the carts, as long as you stay in the room, which is basically a section of tables all in one spot with umbrellas, where smoking is not allowed. Paradise. My daughters and I hunkered down to read a few new books (there is a pretty decent children's section, complete with pint-sized chairs/tables). Halfway through my little potty-training one got THAT LOOK...and we met eyes and she said: "POOPIES!" I told her to HOLD IT and we left our books there and ran to the bathroom. I was bracing myself for a nasty park bathroom experience.

BUT NO.

It was BETTER than O'Hare Airport (my fave public restrooms). It had nice wood doors, atmosphere, self-changing seat covers...it was CLEAN...it smelled good. I was in heaven. My little one even HELD IT until we got her there. I was so happy.

Once her business was finished, we headed back, finished our stories and then rode the short train trip home.

I can't WAIT to go back again.

7 comments:

Alisa said...

What a wonderful experience! I have so enjoyed reading about your adventures. I found your blog through Heidi Swapp's blog & I never comment, just lurk. But I had to say Hi! I was just thinking that I need to check out more of what we have here in OK-somehow I don't think it will be as interesting as NY, but we will see!
Alisa

onehm said...

How great! Love all the awesome stuff that you do with your girls!

Brenchley Family said...

a clean public restroom in NYC? Am I dreaming? That would also make it my favorite place to be in NYC!
Thanks for all the links about knitting in Bryant park. I'll let you know how they go!

Gedde Adventures said...

Wow, I am going to O'Hare on Thursday.. and now I am excited to see what you are talking about! I haven't ever been to that airport before, and I have a 4 hour layover... perfect! ;)
Sara

Jen said...

We've been on the carousel many times, but I never knew about the reading room. What a treasure to find!

knittingirl said...

That sounds like a fantastic way to spend an afternoon... wish I were there!
Rhonda

Mommy Poppins said...

Thanks for posting about this on my site. Did you know they have story time on Saturdays there? Isn't it amazing all the great stuff out there that nobody knows about? Gotta love NY. I'm looking forward to reading more of your site.