Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back to School

Growing up, my mom would drive us out to the Oak Brook Center to purchase new school clothes at the half-yearly sale at Nordstrom (there is no S people). It was always an exciting time, picking out new clothes for a season that felt close yet far away, as we were still tan and wearing shorts.

We knew that the next installment of new clothes would be at Christmas and then our birthdays. This was really the only time of year that we got to pick out stuff ourselves.

It's that time of year yet again, and my daughter and I have done some serious damage. Actually, I think we have done really well. We got lots and lots of clothes at Old Navy-the store that never lets me down...and spent a lot less money then if we had gone to Nordstrom or Bloomies or a boutique in Soho!

The purchases that I am most excited about, but make me the most nervous, are the backpack and lunch box. I fear that my child will get to school and covet another little girl's "cooler" items. However, after much online and in-store shopping, and passing on the I HEART DANCE backpacks and High School Musical 2 tin lunchboxes, I feel really great about our purchases.

I am not a big Lands End shopper, but I thought this backpack was well done. There are too many backpacks out there of the pastel-color variety. NOT practical for the dirty dirty subway. I am hoping this print will last the long year of dirt and grime that it is facing, and that the quality will hold up as well. I purchased the size specifically made for younger children because I don't anticipate her carrying much in it besides her lunch tote and a folder...plus a few days a week she will also have her violin, so keeping it small is a good idea.

I hope that the lunchbox we bought will also fit the style bill. My daughter picked out this print in the yellow, and I love it because it's GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.

Lil sis got a new backpack too. She loves elephants, so this one is right up her alley, and on sale with free shipping, you JUST can't beat that.

Here are a few of our fave outfits. We are so happy that there are NO UNIFORMS this year...it will be even MORE like Christmas morning, every morning (I swear that is how my kids act EVERY single day...it's actually a great example to me), now that we have CLOTHES and not a goldenrod, oversized tee shirt and navy sweatpants to look forward to.


Besides school supplies, which I am hoping to get a list for after the first day, I just want to make a trip to the Container Store to pick up a few reusable containers like this one, or these. Trying to cut down on all those ziploc plastic bags that I go through.

5 comments:

A-me said...

I looked forward to the once a year complete shopping spree as a tike. Esp. if the dad was taking us.. "Dad, can I get this?".. "I don't care.. you have 10 more minutes to get whatever".. You can cram a lot of stuff into your arms in 10 minutes..

onehm said...

Your kids always look so cute. The clothes you put together for them are amazing. I have a friend who has mad skills in the dressing department as well, and I would love to be more like that. I just don't have that kind of imagination, I guess!
Fun shopping!

Megan said...

So lucky! I remember my shopping involved having to wear my older brother's hand me downs and I'm a girl! Not to mention he is 5 years older than me, so they were out of date at that! (Thank God that's over)

merathon said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the yellow flower lunch bag. my girls already have cute lunch sacks (though not THAT cute) and i really have no need for one, but now i WANT one! stop doing this to me!

Kage said...

sorry....