Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Gradually Going Green: Water

I drink a lot of my water from a plastic bottle.

This is because I am usually drinking on the run. I try to at least once a day, stand at my sink, fill up a glass with water from the tap, gulp it down, then fill it up again and drink it a little more gradually....2 gulps....with a few minutes apart. But truthfully, much of my water is consumed OUTSIDE of my house.

I get the cheap bottled water at Costco so that I can throw it in my bag before I leave. I used to have to buy a bottle every time I went out for at least $1.00, so this is my way to conserve $$$. It's less than $5.00 for a flat of waters. And of course, I often recycle the bottles. The few times I don't I feel ok throwing it away because there are several homeless people who make their living on my bottles that they find in the garbage recepticles.

During Edith Stein, I noticed two of my co-actors using reusable water bottles. I have been wanting to use one for a while. Their's looked pretty high tech. I just want one that is cute, easy to clean, and STAYS CLOSED while in the chaos that is MY BAG.

I think I have decided on one of these. SO CUTE. And there are at least 2 locations that I know of here in NYC....I don't have to go all the way to Paris to get one.

After a little more research...

How cute are...

THESE?

THESE? STOP...

COME ON!

Can I finally get rid of sippy cups?

UPDATE:
A few days after writing this post (before posting), I purchased the following:
PINK FLOWERS and DARLING KIDS for big sis...

and...

LITTLE CAT and TEDDY GIRL for lil sis... I know...they are all pink, but they fight over the ONLY pink bowl or ONLY pink plate we have in the house.

and SUNRAY for me. I hope it is just the right size.

And I hope this will RID me of annoying sippy cups....


13 comments:

marian said...

When I started reading this post, I was thinking "Oh no, I hope she hasn't purchased already so that I can tell her about SIGG" - but reading a little further you found them on your own. They are great, DH sells them in his store and we have them for all of the kids (cousins) and the adults. So many cute patterns.

TftCarrie said...

I have the Sigg too and got one for Princess for school. Love them.

chloe said...

That's it, I want one. I'm tired of our not cool sports bottles and tossing Cosco water bottles. Marin introduced me to Sigg with Max - can I buy one from your DH (support business)?!?

delilas said...

Can you freeze water in these bottles? Or Do they have wide enough mouths to add ice?

marian said...

delias, I'm not sure about freezing, but I'm able to add the cubes from my fridge's icemaker through the mouth, so that's easy enough. I don't think a regular ice-tray cube would fit though.

Anonymous said...

Question, is there a difference between these and Nalgene's? Besides looks? I finally have found some cute Nalgene's in great colors with flowers and a semi-wide spout for ice and I love them. However, finding cool patterns is really hard.

merathon said...

whoa-- $18 a pop? i can't justify spending that much on a water bottle that i know will eventually get lost! i did find a great brand of no spill water bottles that my kids and i have been using for the last four years. they're made by InZone and they have 22 oz for adults and 12 oz for kids. we love them! they sell them at the container store, and lots of other random places, including some grocery stores. they're the best! i love not having to buy bottled water. such a waste of money and bad for the environment! (i found your site from my sister, marliese ransom, who i believe you have met thru a friend of a friend in nyc.)

Kage said...

anon, I think nalgenes are plastic? I like the idea of the metal.

merathon...I know...about losing, BUT I can't think of a time when I have misplaced my plastic water bottles? And my children are getting older and more responsible, and we haven't had what I call SIPPY CUP SUICIDE (when the sippy cup jumps out of a childs hand and down into the train tracks), for a few years now...so I think we are ready to graduate. And if you think of buying 18, 20 oz. water bottles at $1.00 a day, you basically make up the cost in just a few weeks. Worth it in my book.

Natasha said...

i myself am a nalgen girl. I love the one I have. It says "UTAH STATE" up the side. GO AGGIES!

I like the patterns on the ones you found though. . . .mine is really boring compared to yours!

Beth said...

These are so cute. But I had the same thought about losing them. It would be just my luck I'm sure.

TftCarrie said...

I believe the metal Sigg bottles (which is what makes them more expensive) are popular not just because they are reusable, but also because you don't have to worry about the leeching of chemicals into the water as can happen with plastic bottles - reusable and disposable.

Anonymous said...

I randomly found your site and your water bottle issue caught my eye. Your so right about the SIGG bottles. The metal in them is environmentaly friendly and safe for you and your kids. They don't leech chemicals known to cause cancer. The Nalgene brand I know for sure has those harmful chemicals in them that will come out into the water especially if washed in the dishwasher. If you own a Nalgene and it is one that is the colored plastic, DON'T wash it in the dishwasher. Anyway, I have done a lot of research on this very topic for school and thought I might help. Way to go on becoming a little more Green, evey bit helps!

jenn said...

we love our siggs and kleen kanteens. i prefer the siggs for the kids, adn the kk for me. we also got our grocery bags from reusable bags, and every bagger asks where we got them they love them!