Sunday, August 12, 2007

Issues

We all have them. This week, a great friend of mine sent me the gift of music. Isn't that rad that you can open an email, and in it, an album...just for you...click here to download. My friend brings me such JOY.

Anyway, I had never really been attached to Don Henly's version of THE HEART OF THE MATTER, but hearing India Arie sing it to me OVER and OVER again this week in my ears, was truly healing. Here is a video of her singing it (with a bonus of the India-version of Umbrella), and the lyrics follow underneath it:




I'm learning to live without you now
But I miss you sometimes
The more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again
I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
But my will gets weak
And my thoughts seem to scatter

But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

These times are so uncertain
There's a yearning undefined
...People filled with rage
We all need a little tenderness
How can love survive in such a graceless age
The trust and self-assurance that can lead to happiness
They're the very things we kill,
I guess
Pride and competition cannot fill these empty arms
And that war they put between us,
Doesn't keep me warm


There are people in your life who've come and gone
They let you down and hurt your pride
Better put it all behind you; life goes on
You keep carryin' that anger, it'll eat you inside


I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
But my will gets weak
And my thoughts seem to scatter
But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
Because the flesh will get weak
And the ashes will scatter
So I'm thinkin' about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore


6 comments:

knittingirl said...

This was a perfect post for me today - I've got issues with my father and sometimes forgiving is not what I want to do, but these lyrics remind me it's what I need to do - great timing!

Linz said...

This moved me. Thank you for the post.

Susan said...

Thanks! I had not heard her version of the song before.

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hi Kristy :) That was a neat video! I have always liked that song. I hope you're feeling better. I enjoy reading your adventures. Have a great week!

Lynn G. J. said...

I loved this post- so uplifting. What a cool version of the song! The lyrics are very inspiring. Having gone through a tough divorce myself a few years back, it was a good reminder that healing and moving on is possible, even though it isn't easy. Love your blog and the Tales blog too. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. You have such a darling family and cool life out in NYC!

NTG said...

This applies to so many life situations. I have some sister-in-laws on my side of the family who are still holding grudges from stuff that happened years ago. They need to hear/read this. The thing is, they are members of the church and over all these years I wonder how many times they have heard talks or lessons on forgiveness and they just ignore it and let those bad feelings continue to fester. It's pretty sad to see people like that. Thanks for the great reminder kage. Love ya.