Thursday, August 02, 2007

News

I have debated about whether or not to blog about this, but it's time.

Since last Tuesday I have been dizzy. Drowsy and dizzy. It started with a feeling around my eyes: close, close is what my mind was telling them. Even though I had my glasses on or contacts in, I felt like I couldn't see very well without really concentraing on focusing. I figured the drowsy feeling was my body's way of coping with the strain to see. I called the eye doctor and described my symptoms. She explained that my prescription was changed nearly 6 weeks ago, and we would have known during the trial week if the prescription was off. Wow, had that much time passed? Yeah, I hadn't been complaining at all up to that point.

It persisted, so I went to the doctor on Friday. He did a very thorough examination, even checking my heart, and taking blood. He suggested it was stress, which of course, upon examination I have a very stressful life, but right now I am handling it well. I have had far more stressful times, and coped much worse at different times in the past. My eye twitch, or an anxiety attack, or just pure exhaustion are examples of physical symptoms I have had in the past that were totally linked with stress. I told him that this felt different, like the happy, normal me is inside STRUGGLING to show myself through this haze in my head. My only theory was perhaps I got water stuck in my ear from using the neti pot. He sent me to an ENT.

On Monday the ENT looked in my ears: clear. He did hearing tests: almost perfect hearing. He gave me a set of exercises to do to improve my balance. They make me nauseous. I have my final test ordered by him today. It is an ENG. I spoke to my primary care physician yesterday and my blood is awesome. Cholesterol is even down to 192. He said that if we don't get answers from the ENG, that next I go to the neurologist.

This past weekend when I was really worried and upset and super-fatigued, I went to the extremes of what my symptoms are indicating: I have diagnosed myself with a Thyroid problem, hypoglycemia, multiple sclerosis, lupus, and of course a brain tumor. WebMD is a dangerous place. I sincerely hope that it is something far less serious than any of those, but at this point, I am prepared for anything, because something is not right. My faith has helped me to cope since Monday. I take life, one moment at a time. I don't have much energy to see the art and the music and the life. I am pretty much at a low level (for me) of functioning. I have little energy to expend seeing, experiencing, smiling, and striking up conversation. I feel like I can't open my mind or my eyes to much more than just putting one foot in front of the other. By the end of the day, my world is absolutely spinning like I am on a carousel. I have to lie down, be still and try not to cry.


16 comments:

Chris said...

You sound like me - whenever I have something going on I always turn to the internet & google my symptoms and always the worse possible diagnosis comes up - and it's NEVER that once I talk to my doctor. Always something I wasn't expecting and it always turns out okay. I'm sure it's the same with you. You're going to be fine, you'll see. :)

wendysue said...

Oh kage. Hang on. I know for me things always get really bad before I figure out that it's really going to be ok. I hope the Dr's can find something. . .sometimes I just hope for a diagnosis of SOMETHING so I can place the blame and get it off my own back. I'll be thinking of you.

tracy m said...

Prayers coming your way, K.

Rachel H said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry to hear that! Life is so unpredictable sometimes. But please don't let yourself think about all the worse things- think positive energy and if nothing else conitnue with postive thoughts and faith! IN the mean time treat yourself to something you haven't had in a while! Maybe a mani-pedi or just a fruit smoothie?

mkc said...

Hi Kage,

Have you thought about seeing an accupuncturist? I was having some issues with my stomach and had all kinds of tests done and was taking all kinds of meds, but nothing was showing up & the meds weren't helping. I finally saw the accupuncturist and the entire visit I kept thinking it was such a waste of time, but I haven't had a problem since! It really worked, even when I thought it wouldn't. It might be worth looking into and trying since you haven't had any other relief...you'd need a babysitter though, they make you lie down for 20 minutes quietly during treatment. The meds the neurologist might give you can be pretty intense and this really isn't that invasive and it doesn't hurt at all. I hope you get some relief soon!

Melissa said...

I hope the haze clears soon and that everything will get better. The world just isn't the same without the seeing/experiencing/smiling/conversationalist Kage.
My prayers are with you.

Megan said...

A friend of mine has Meneir's disease (I'm not sure of the spelling) and it sounds so much like what you describe. It's a problem with the inner ear. When it acts up, she gets dizzy/vertigo. One spell lasted for a year. She takes medication for it to help control it though; a diuretic. She also has to drink lots of water all day and cannot have ANY salt. No seasonings or breads/yeasts with salt. She eats all whole foods and nothing from a bag or can (all sodium stuff). This helps her feel ok and she's also very fit since she eats no junk... Also, she sees an acupuncturist when it acts up and she drinks this special herb blend they give her. She swears by this and says it helps A LOT. Don't want to scare you; I just wanted to put out there just in case. (She's totally fine, though, day to day now). Good luck!

Laura said...

I am thinking of you and hope you feel better soon! Oh my you sound miserable. It's so hard to not feel like yourself and force yourself to get up and go through your day anyway! ((HUGS))

Crazymamaof6 said...

i have thyroid cancer and no thyroid now so i have clinical under active (hypothyroid) thyroid levels, and didn't they check your thyroid levels, when they did your blood draw? thyroid conditions are easily treated with an easy to swallow thyroid pill. and while it is inconvenient, it won't kill you, and if it is thyroid related, it is probably the best out of all your possible self-diagnosed problems. and my opinion, get a copy of your labs and all your reports for reference and just to look at, it is easier to get them now than later in case you switch dr.s or need follow up later. they aren't incredibly hard to read, and you can always ask your DR. but your thyroid levels should be on there. and tons of people have thyroid issues, and just have to take their pill, and they feel way better. you'll be ok, and i am amazed you have gotten in to everywhere so quickly! when do you go see the neurologist? hope you are feeling better soon!

knittingirl said...

I'm with crazymama and say make sure they checked your thyroid function... I think I posted to you about thyroid issues when you first discovered your high cholesterol, since hypothyroid has a serious impact on your cholesterol and triglycerides. Hope you are back to your normal self soon - praying for you!
Rhonda

vicki said...

that's terrible! i hope you feel better soon and maybe figure out what's going on even sooner! our prayers are with you!

Little Miss said...

Oooh. I've experienced similar symptoms in the past and I thought it was a problem w/ my heart (I have a pacemaker)--so off to the ER only to discover an infection in my inner ear. (no pain, vertigo, dizziness)

throw your head back and look straight up at the ceiling-- does it make the vertigo even worse? (key sign of inner ear infection)

And you're right, WebMD is a dangerous place. Surf w/ discretion! Thinking of you--

Kage said...

Hey guys! Thanks SO much for all your comments. They really helped me yesterday, and it was the easiest day I have had yet.

Megan, pretty sure it's not Meneirs..I don't have enough symptoms, and I think the ENT could have diagnosed it.

Crazymama, I am sorry to hear about your cancer, I hope your fight is going well. I am assuming my thyroid was checked in the blood, but I will double check with my doc.

Little Miss-it's def. not my inner ear. Laying down is a relief, and I have had enough tests by now to detect that.

The ENG was a weird experience...they irrigate your ear with air, and that feels like going under with anesthesia...not pleasant...but hopefully will rule some things out and bring me closer to answers. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind if this just went away.....with no further testing in my future, but I am preparing for anything.

jmc4180 said...

i will be praying for you, its hard to not to be concern, when you know something is not right about your body. it sounds like it could be a thryoid problem, have you looked in the mirror and swallow to see if your thryoid budges out. I hope its nothing. your friendly blog reader:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Simone (from England)

this is very strange (I've just read this) and I've been feeling the same all week - I feel like I'm drunk,I can't focuse on anything and I feel like I've been on a boat my balance doesn't feel normal.



I went to my doctor yesterday and she said it could be an inner ear infection (it effects your balance)

You can't see it because it's behind the ear drum, so I now have medication and antisickness tablets which help you stop feeling dizzy.

S.

Kage said...

Just found this post again, amazing that nobody caught it: Epilepsy! Such a relief to know now....