Monday, August 27, 2007

Today's Adventure: Bronx Equestrian Center

If you click on this link, you will be taken to the website for the Bronx Equestrian Center at Pelham Bay Park.


That is where we had our adventures today. I entered the address in my navigation system and was taken to a random stretch of road in the Bronx that was NOT the BEC. After calling the number (that I brought JUST IN CASE...thank you very much), and getting a message, I got a more specific location of the very huge Pelham Bay Park...typed THAT into the system and just happened upon it. WEll, it was horses, so it was easy to see and smell.

I don't ride horses much, but when I have had the opportunity, I have observed that the horses were really calm and maybe a little lazy or relaxed while hanging out in their pen.

These horses were riled up. They were twitchy, they were kicking each other with their back legs, and trotting around. They were CITY horses. I was glad I wasn't riding a horse today, because I was a little tiny bit afraid.

We had to wait a few minutes for our pony Roscoe to be brought out, but I was glad because it gave lil sis (who until today has been WAY to scared to ride) a chance to get used to these large, feisty animals. She poked her face through the fence, and when a horse stuck his nose in her face, she pet it, and wasn't scared. I was really proud of her. And then she rode a pony for the first time. It was VERY serious business to her...no fun at all.

The whole experience was really quite brief, and JUST what we needed for this beautiful and fleeting summer morning. NEIGH....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your poor #2 just doesn't seem like a happy girl. Never smiling...just ticked to be here or what?

Kage said...

She doesn't really smile on command...and in this particular situation she was being her brave self. I have lots of pics of her smiling....if you read the blog enough, you'll see them....