Sunday, August 19, 2007

Yesterday's Adventure: Southampton


I don't know if it is the case EVERYWHERE, but certainly here in NYC, we hear a LOT about the Hamptons. We decided we needed to check it out.

We drove to the village of Southampton, in just about 2 hours. The traffic going to the Hamptons becomes 1 lane, so that was the only part that was slow. We walked around this quaint little East Coast, Beach town. We saw a wide variety of little shops: Kids Boutique, Bookstore, Fudge Shop, clothes, gifts, etc. We found a memorial park next to some water and had some sandwiches from a local deli, and swung on the swings. After about 2 hours in the village, and one VERY tired toddler, we got back in the car and decided to explore this TINY strip of land where all the BIG houses are.


On our walks and drive we found a lot of nature, and some ginormous houses/compounds. Many were hidden by bushes, but others, we could see the tops of, towering over the nature.






There was also the occasional, abandoned building....very strange to see among the substantial beach houses around this tiny strip. Made me a little scared for them, with the crazy global warming happening...will this little strip of land survive?


All in all, the Hamptons were nice, clean, close to the water, beautiful in climate and crowded. I counted 6 African Americans, and all the Latinos that I saw were in the Laundromat, or nannies. This I didn't like. I enjoy my diversity people, and the Hamptons were very white. So, I'm not sure if it will be my vacation spot, but it was nice to see another part of New York, and a different culture all together.


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have always been curious about the Hamptons so I am glad you explored. Next stop: Martha's Vineyard!

onehm said...

Sounds like a nice day with your family. Love those little day trips. They are so relaxing...not much packing required! Looks like a beautiful place.

Rachel H said...

Back when I was a flight attendant, we spent some time in Chattam, which I believe is in that area. It was in the fall, and not very crowded at all, which made it seem a lot more fun. It was so pretty, quaint, and full of great little antique shops. We really enjoyed it.