Wednesday, September 12, 2007

2 Days in the Hamptons

I'm back...

I will begin with today, because yesterday was crazy, busy, rainy and crazy. Today was different.

It was a beautiful morning at a horse farm in Bridgehampton. QUITE a difference from the Bronx Equestrian Center. The crazy horses there were crazy because they were a bit cramped compared to the one-horse-per-pen norm here. I was excited to be shooting here until I saw where we were shooting, in the barn full of DIRT where the horses train indoors. You can see the pic below: bottom/middle photo.

It was dirty. I was glad that I brought my rainboots...they quickly became today's uniform. After a few hours of shooting and hanging out (we had a slow day today...lots of HURRY UP and WAIT!), I realized that I had lost my car key. I had put it in the shallow pocket of my hoodie, and it was now gone. I did not panic, because I had the entire day and not much area to cover, to find it. Several of us took some time to search but it just WASN'T turning up.

I remembered that I had onstar, and maybe they could help. I got my DH to work on it from his office in NYC and after much frustration on his part (thank you honey!), He and Onstar concocted a plan that involved towing, 16 miles away, making a new key and what seemed like a whole lot of hassle. I decided that I needed to take a break, sit down, and think for a second. I sat down and I looked at my legs and decided that if I took my knee pads off (I wear them while wrangling, b/c I sit on my knees a lot), I might have better circulation to my brain.

And there was my key. It was In my knee pad. I don't know how it got there, but it did, and I was so relieved! I almost didn't believe that that was the key. YEAH!

Now that I could open my car, I decided to check my phone, and on it was a message from April, with the Gayle King show. Yes, I called her this morning after hearing her show, and they liked my message so much, that they called me and asked me to speak to her on the air today. It was short and sweet, but very fun. If you have XM radio, tune into 156 tomorrow to hear me! (And Gayle of course). I am the second caller after the opening monologue:

Gayle King
Weekdays 2 AM, 8 AM, 2PM, 8 PM ET

I was a little nervous, but I love an adventure...and now I have spoken to both Oprah and Gayle...I am practically a member of the Harpo family ; ).

Below are a few pix that I took the past few days. I LOVED the Corgi Puppies that were there. And I had the most interesting conversation with the animal wrangler they hired. She got her start handling horses for the live Opera performances at the Met. You can learn all about this animal wrangler and her amazingly unique business here.


I stayed at the Southampton Inn which was one block away from where this photo was taken, back when we went to the Hamptons a few weeks ago, and on the bed, one decorative pillow in the center, that is the same one I have on my couch at home. It was like the whole thing was meant to be. I even had a chance to give myself a mani/pedi...a true rarity these days.


Have I mentioned I love my job?

6 comments:

Jill Ann said...

I'm so glad I have your blog to live vicariously through! What fun!

onehm said...

Sounds like an awesome couple of days! Glad that you found your key...I know how frustrating THAT can be!!
Beautiful photos...

Melissa said...

Coo-li-o. Hamptons, RL? Horses? Yee haw.
That bottom pic of you and O I thought you had a pirate patch on...the way the sun is hitting your glasses. Arrrr there!

nowlze said...

dude...the french bulldog on the animal wrangler's website has got nothing on the biscuit. i'm just sayin'.

i need to know more about this lady, because every animal wrangler i've worked with has been insane!

Anonymous said...

so what did you and gayle talk about? i dont have xm...

Kage said...

Gayle and I briefly spoke about that lady on Southwest Airlines who was apparently scantily-clad and asked to adjust her clothing...