Monday, September 17, 2007

Gradually Going Green: Soup N Swap


This past Saturday my peops at church had a Soup N Swap. Come, Eat Soup, Bring your Junk, Take home other people's junk. You get the idea.

I was most excited about my sToup, as Rachael Ray calls it, because I vowed to only bring stuff, NOT swap it. I made Rachael Ray's Hungarian Sausage Stoup.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....SO good. I love a good lentil soup. The sausage didn't bother me in this, but I think next time I might try it vegetarian-style. Even my girls liked it...

As for my stuff...well I am a clean-out-aholic. One of my friend's reminded me that one May I was cleaning out and found my cake pans and thought: "Well, when am I EVER going to make cake?" and I threw them out. I forgot that birthdays happen EVERY year. All of ours are 3 months in a row, so I guess they were all over and I figured, let's toss the cake pans. The moral of that paragraph is that I wasn't sure I would have much to donate, but as you can see from the photo, I had about 4+ bags worth. REUSE! Gotta love it!

I ended up coming home with what I thought were very wise "purchases". I went wearing my rain boots, and found a new pair that I really needed simply because my old rainboats are not flexible enough in the ankle-area, and these pink ones were. I just put them on, and left my old rainboots in their place. I then found some discarded yarn that I quickly picked up in the name of the Love Scarf Project, along with a set of needles, in the name of learning to knit more complicated items in the future....

There was a yellow rain jacket for the wee one that I HAD to have, b/c we always need raingear and I hate buying it....and a few pair of brand new curious george panties for the girls, that were totally vintagey looking. And finally a skirt and shirt that I really don't need, but will make some cute pieces to freshen up my wardrobe. In all, I came home with A LOT less than what I came with...so that was good times.

5 comments:

D said...

I don't see the pink boots to which you refer. I feel cheated.

Kage said...

D, But what about the soup? Appetizing....and delicious....

onehm said...

I love that idea! Fabulous!
I also have to say that this soup looks so wonderful. As soon as it cools down more here in AZ I will have to try it. I love warm soup on cold days!

marian said...

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking I need to host one of these, sounds like a great idea! Was it families, or just adults, or just the women-folk there?

Kage said...

PINK BOOTS HERE