Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Les Miserables on Broadway

There are certain fantasies one has as a young girl growing up in the musical theatre climate...one of them includes the musical Les Miz and just which part you would be perfect for...

Do I want to sing the pure and high stuff as Cosette? Can I hit the low notes of Fantine and Eponine? Which is the most thrilling death scene? Etc.

As a young girl in the musical theatre you revisit these songs again and again because they are just GREAT songs and GREAT roles....and you imagine what it would be like to play them on broadway.

And then you get that call from The Casting Director (the call that comes 2 to 4 times a year) and this time you hear the words: "Audition for Les Miz" and you revisit those moments in your youth and wonder...what material YOU get to sing for the producers of Les Miz on Broadway....

Ensemble Role (fine, I'll take it, frankly, I will sweep the floors)...understudying....Madame T. ?

Confusion sets in.

I ask: The lady with the big boobs? B/c in my state (I have a cold) I cannot think of the words, Master of the House, or Beggers Waltz...or whatever it is called...and it is confirmed, yes THAT role.

And I am stunned. Never in my wildest imaginations have I even let those notes/words cross my mind. And now I am in my bathroom practicing because 1. I don't want my children repeating the words @#$@# and !@##@$ and !@#$, and 2. because I am just plain scared of this material. And I am trying to make a tall skinny Madame T funny. As for my boobs, well, to my knowledge there is no contraption OUT THERE that could push up absolutely nothing, so everybody's got to be down with my not-so-there chest.

On Saturday, I went to see the Matinee of the show and it was very beautiful and moving. I hadn't seen it in about 10 years or so, and it was my firs time seeing it on Broadway, and any actor would give their wisdom teeth at least to be in it, including me...I'd give my knee caps too, if that wouldn't impede my ability to perform of course.

So, this afternoon I had the audition. I sang Madame T, and the response in the room was: "Good for you!" Which to my thinking can only mean: "Yeah, you will NEVER be Madame T, but thanks for being completely and utterly vulnerable in front of us and singing material that couldn't be more wrong for your voice and body type...have a nice day." And you know what, I did have a nice day. I really did.

4 comments:

Linz said...

If you're right about Madame T., could you still be up for Ensemble?

KJ said...

Wow, thanks for letting us share your only-in-your-dreams-moment. I loved every word of it. My hands even got sweaty. Congratulations. One of these days you will be the star. So proud of you!

Beth said...

When I was Evelyn Nesbit in Ragtime I thought the same things about the boobs b/c my costumes were pretty revealing. It's amazing what a good costume designer can do with make-up and some tape, although kinda painful :) Just wanted you to know it can be done for the a-cups. I never would've believed it until I saw it. What a great audition story by the way.

Kage said...

Linz, it is an ensemble role regardless, they just haven't decided who that ensemble member is going to cover....