Sunday, September 16, 2007

Saturday's Adventure: Queens County Fair

Ever since I went to the Maryland State Fair back in 2001, I have loved the fair.

I haven't been to a State Fair since, but I have my eyes on New Jersey's next year. NY is too far away to do in a day. I will have to research Connecticut too.

Anyway, to get my fair fix, I took the ENTIRE Posse (along with a few friends) to the Queens County Fair.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The pace was slower, sky bluer, and grass greener. There was a wide range of live music, from a country band as we walked in, to a traveling-on-stilts vaudeville-ish band, to a jazz band. We met a New York State Senator, and a man who was QUITE passionate about worms, even offering us a free cup of worms to take home to put in the garden. Whoops, sorry, we have no garden.

We headed into the agricultural and livestock tents to see the ribbon winners. I had secretly hoped to enter something in the arts and crafts arena, but didn't quite get my act together...maybe next year.

My top two favorite moments of the day:
1. I volunteered my husband to help with the Jumping Frog Show (SOUNDS way cooler than it actually was). He brought lil sis up to assist him with what the MC was calling the slow frog. The MC asked her her name and she said it in the microphone, and then when he asked her her Dad's name, her reply was the same. I love this photo of her being so brave:

When she spied the turtle in the bucket before we did, she was a little scared, but quickly warmed up to the goal of pushing the turtle to the red finish line. They were so cute together up there.

2. Watching Big Sis' face on the one ride that I allowed her to go on:

And of course, it's always fun to see the animals at the fair. I thought this guy looked a little uncomfortable.

This chicken dude was strutting about and lil sis just came right up to him and pet him on the head. He didn't like it so much.

The snake guy was pretty passionate about his Boa. She was really well-behaved too. I like the dainty petting-action going on here:

All in all it was a great fair. We saw the Gizmo Guys, and ate Corn Dogs and overall had a wonderful afternoon.

6 comments:

nymanzanita said...

Looks like a ton of fun! I especially like the pic of Big Sis on the swing ride. Very cute!

D said...

O has the coolest green pants EVER.

Kage said...

Big SIS LOVED that ride. And yes Lil Sis' pants are uber cool, a hand me down from big sis

Rachel H said...

That fair looks like fun! We haven't been to one in SO long- We got kind of scared off from fairs/festivals over the years.. mainly because it was seeming like every time we'd go it was just crammed with kind of gross greasy food vendors, and wayyyy too many people with like, only one tooth in the front...if you know what I mean!! A little to freak-festy for us. Haha.

Anonymous said...

You should try the Eastern States Exposition (the Big E) in Western Massachusetts. Might be around a 3 hour drive, but well worth it. It is HUGE and has a TON of great stuff to do/see. It started this past weekend, and will run through the next 2 weeks.

knittingirl said...

That looks like so much fun! It's about to be county fair time around here (they close the schools and everything) so we'll be hitting the corn dogs and cotton candy too - yay!