Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Gradually Going Green

I first heard this idea from my friend Carrie, who I believe got it from a toddler busy book of sorts...I am sure all the correct credits can be found here.

Anyway, the idea is to take all your old grubby crayons and reuse them and make them into kaleidoscope muffiny shaped crayon cookies, if you will. They are not to eat, just meant to add a new dimension to your crayon-coloring experience.

After a frustrating Sunday of trying to color with a bunch of paperless, broken crayons, and a resounding request from the kindergarten parents for NO SWEETS during tomorrow's Halloween Party...I decided that making these crayon cookies was JUST what the class needed for a Halloween treat, and just what our crayon stash needed to make room for some newer, nice crayons.

The children are free to use their artistic impression on the crayon cookies, but I liked grouping them in like colors....just looked pretty:

It was fun to watch them melt in the oven, though we tried to incorporate some wax remnants from Crayola Twisters, and they did not melt so well...


...but that was ok, because I thought it looked cool like that:

We only had enough for three each...so we bagged them up and tagged them, and voila! A fun Halloween, recycled party favor!



7 comments:

Laura said...

Totally awesome!

Natasha said...

What a fun idea! I wish we had more crayons. . . .

Chloe said...

Fantastic all around - these turned out GREAT!

delilas said...

I teach Preschool 2 year olds and I'm going to use this idea for the goodie bags at Christmas time, perfect. Thanks for sharing. Also if you have any flyers for your concert in DC I would love to spread the word. :D

Ashley said...

That's such a great idea!

SingerMamaMelody said...

Those are so adorable! I have made things like this before...but I really liked what you did with separating the colors into coordinated groups. Very fun! :)

LJ said...

That's a really fun idea. I'm going to try that with my kids' many old crayons. A great alternative to candy, too!