Sunday, October 07, 2007

Saturday's Adventure: Apple-Picking


We have never been apple picking as a family. We chose to make our first venture this Saturday, along with my daughter's kindergarten class.

When I first heard where we were going, I was really excited, because it was the same town where we had our 3-Generation Photoshoot. Warwick, New York is really beautiful. I am sure this is the case for most of the state of New York. The drive up was so beautiful with the leaves just starting to change colors, and the Pumpkin Farmstands here and there.

The orchard itself was very steep. It was quite a hike just to walk around from one lot to the next. There was a beautiful view down into the valley.

Our only complaints, being the non-naturish people that we are, were the HEAT and the DIRT. My husband was so patient, driving into the DIRT of this orchard, having JUST washed the car. Whoops. Sorry honey.


After the picking and the farmstand, and lunching, we stopped by a great ice cream stop. Bellvale Creamery's ice cream is ok, (I've had WAY better), but it's the view that you stop for. To sit there and eat delicious ice cream and look down into the valley with the gorgeous leaves and the farms and the hawks flying overhead, is really surreal. To think it's just an hour outside of the city, is just a crazy thought sometimes.


This morning, having obtained a LOT of apples, we decided to use our harvest in a new recipe. Apple pancakes! I am pretty sure they were a hit, owing to the fact that they were scarfed quite quickly. I, having recently acquired an allergy to apples, (thank you daughter of mine), did not partake. Dang.




7 comments:

clg0513 said...

that sounds like fun. Please share your apple pancake recipe.

Heather said...

I'm so jealous of the apple picking! Our apple festival was a bust, but we had a good time in Connecticut. Can I have an apple, please???

Ann said...

everyone around here goes apple picking but we never have. sounds like a delicious adventure. i've got a great apple crisp recipe if you want it!!

bspeck said...

Oooh!! We are going apple picking next weekend and you've gotten me all excited for it! Love the pics.

Anonymous said...

Can you share which farm you went to in Warwick? Looks like FUN! :)

Kage said...

The apple pancake recipe is basically to just follow the box (we do aunt jemima, whole wheat), and then add to it a 1/2 cup of peeled/chopped apples and a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.

The orchard is Maskers. The website is www.maskers.com

If my kids were older, I would have stayed to go to theForest of Fear...looks fun.

Melissa said...

I would say this is pretty darn close to a forrest...so D can check that off her list.
Looks like a yummy day.