Thursday, October 04, 2007

Third Person Thursday: New York's Finest

She walked into her apartment and smelled it. Gas.

Her neighbor constantly complained about smelling gas, getting headaches, nausea, etc. She and her family were not experiencing the same gas situation. Every once in a while she could smell something, but it was usually just a moment of it, or she chalked it up to being the smelly stinky garbage, or residuals from the apparently gassy apartment next door.

In the past month, 2 different visitors commented on the gas smell. Hmmmm....she started wondering if there really was a gas leak, and she was just used to the smell. She decided to pay more attention to her surroundings.

She walked in yesterday and she definitely smelled it. Yes. Gas. In this one spot...the same spot that everyone else smelled it. She remembered her neighbor mentioning calling 311, the city's help line for anything from rodent control to alternate side of the street parking. She decided to take matters into her own hands. She made the call...very casual like...just wondering if there was any city agency that could come by and check the air.

The 311 operator almost immediately patched her through to 911 despite her protests, she said:
"BUT...it's not an emergency, my life is not in danger, I have been living here for months...really....I don't need the fire department....." too late.

She spoke to the dispatcher and again protested, but the call ended this way:
"We're on the way."

3 minutes later she heard sirens from outside. A lot of sirens. 4 and a half minutes later, 4 large fire trucks, filled with uniformed fire fighters blocked the street in front of her building. She found herself straightening up the house for them...pillows here, blankets folded, dishes in the sink, make the bed...
She waited and after walking the several flights in full gear and weaponry, they appeared with their air meter thingy. At first it wasn't picking anything up, but then after pulling out the oven, there it was! A leak.

She was so glad it was actually SOMETHING, and not her imagination. She offered them homemade cookies from the freezer (kept specifically for any firefighters that might need to drop by : ) ), and after they declined, they left.

5 minutes later, 3 of the workers from her building came up and fixed the leak. She thought to herself: Well, I guess I should have just told THEM about it and not gotten the entire fire department involved. 30 minutes after they had declared the leak fixed (but not the oven...it was not going back in flush with the wall quite right), the ConEd guys showed up. They also tested the leak, and since it was now fixed, her air passed the test!

Again, she felt relieved and so well taken care of by ALL of New York's Finest...and JUST in time for Third Person Thursday too...



10 comments:

clg0513 said...

OMG...i'm so glad that you all are safe. Just thinking WHAT could have happened gives me the chills. I'm glad that everything is now okay and your exciting life can get back to normal.

onehm said...

that is CRAZY!!!

Love the cookies....

marian said...

I love you straightening the house and pulling out cookies. You were probably the best call they had all day - calm, attractive woman offering sweets? Excellent!

E-Dawg said...

This cracks me up. I seem to remember another dramatic run in you and I had with the fire department. At least this time it wasn't a false alarm that effected hundreds of people and caused an opera to stop and poor out onto the streets of Chicago.

mkc said...

Please share the E-Dawg story! That sounds crazy!

I'm glad they found the leak and everyone was ok. How exciting!

Kage said...

ummmm....the E dawg story was supposed to remain between the people who are guilty. I am pretty sure it was three of us, who had minor roles in the opera at our school, and we were on the top level dressing areas. There was a door open, and we (maybe me) thought it should be closed. We closed it..and a few short minutes later the fire alarm went off and the entire audience and cast evacuated. We had to start it over again.

We think it was b/c of the fog machine. And we think that door was open to prevent that from happening. I don't think we told anyone...until now.

Megan said...

The whole gas leak thing is terrifying! It couldn't be more dangerous...I'm glad you are all ok. I had a friend of a friend who wasn't so lucky; so I'm always wary of gas leaks...

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS YOU?!?!?! Hahahahhaha...I'm falling off my chair right now...

HHR

HK said...

I'm so glad you called the utility company. I was pretty sure it was gas I smelled while visiting you on Sunday. Glad they were able to fix the leak and now you don't have to worry. TPT rules! And by the way, the cookies were scrumptious!

y said...

Ok. VERY Similar. (i also cleaned up my dishes!) One big difference. YOU had an actual emergency and were not just stared at by the NYFD... b/c their air thingy didn't go off. Was it b/c our windows were open all night? Is it b/c of our gas stove and my sensitive nose and head? I will never know...