Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Report

It's quite unlike me to go THIS long between posts...especially when such an event as Thanksgiving has occurred, and I am actually home to post. Well, the reason can be said in two words: STOMACH FLU!

A few years ago we all got the stomach flu (accept baby who had had her flu shot), and this round of it seemed MUCH worse. And my husband has already had his flu shot which tells me this was a strain like no other.

It started a few hours after our Thanksgiving meal with big sis. We thought maybe she had had too many sweets. Then that night at around 3 AM, those dreaded words from lil sis: "my tummy hurts: and then....

Both girls made it to the toilet, making the clean up so much better. We thought lil sis was barfing b/c she ate too much straight cranberry sauce. It COULDN'T be the flu! We headed out to the sights and sounds of Manhattan on Friday, and right after big sis ate lunch she hurled all over 40th St....3 splats all over the sidewalk. We went straight home.

That night the kids were left with a sitter and my bro and sis-in law and my husband and I went to see one of the few open shows on Broadway right now, the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. As we were walking out I noticed a little tiny something in the pit of my stomach...just a feeling. I expressed it out loud and decided I was on the fence as to whether or not it was going to have the same ending as my daughters. We stopped by the Charmin bathrooms in Times Square (the video below is from last years, but this years is quite similar):


But I was still fine.

Then it struck. At 4 AM all you could hear in my apartment was a cacophony of wretches from BOTH my husband and me. It was the most surreal and disgusting experience of our married life. We were so ill.

Our children were up and asking for things by 9 am and I was still lying down on the bathroom floor in the fetal position, for fear I would miss the toilet. It was time to phone a friend. I did, and she and another friend took care of my children for the entire day and washed my sheets and made the beds and even came back today to take them to church. And now we are doing better. A little weak and tired from all that puking, but feeling ready to face Monday. And now all the fun of thanksgiving is a blur...but I think I have a few photos to prove it was indeed fun:

I love the Kermit Balloon Handlers. They are always in green, and there are SO many of them.

Could my little one and her Dad look more alike?

Gotta love Hello Kitty, gotta love even more: SUPERHERO Hello Kitty!

Big Sis and me enjoying the parade.

The kids table, just hours before it began...

My husband waiting for the subway on the way home from the parade. We brought WAY too many clothes, it was practically summer out there. And then overnight a 30 degree drop. We were so lucky with the weather, but not much for anything else...on to Christmas~ Thank goodness I don't have the stomach flu this upcoming weekend, what with the concert and all....maybe we are lucky after all.

11 comments:

beth said...

That is awful!! I'm so sorry. You know what, I just got my flu shot and the pharmacist (and I think Parents mag., too) said that it doesn't really protect again the comment stomach flu. Who knew????

beth said...

I mean, COMMON stomach flu. Yeah, there's an article in Dec. Parents.

Gedde Adventures said...

OH my gosh I am so sorry, Kage, that is awful! So happy you guys are feeling better...

Anonymous said...

it hit in dallas too! my son is just now getting over the stomach flu. my 2 nieces had it before him. i'm hoping that myself, daughter or husband doesnt get it. it was rough! hope all is well now... by the way we watched the t-giving parade and said that one day we would spend our t-giving in new york w/the parade! cool pics too!
christy

Chloe said...

OH NO. I had a feeling something was wrong when you were absent for so long. Just awful. We've all got our stomach flu stories over here too (Christmas of 2005, a season that will live in infamy). So glad that you're feeling better...

Natasha said...

I am so sorry!! The Stomach flu after soooo much yummy food is the WORST!!!

E-Dawg said...

Well, at least it is a "post Thanksgiving diet". Not many people can say they came away lighter after this weekend. Although I am sure it was not worth it!

gramakas said...

I loved seeing that Disneylandlike bathroom experience! Where else but NYC! Soooooo fun!! Wish I could come and check it out in person as well as all the Christmas decorations around the city.... so jealous that you LIVE there! (so sorry about the yucky bug you guys got!)

onehm said...

EWWWW! You poor things!!
Glad that you had such great friends to help out!
;o)

LJ said...

How awful! Sorry you were all so sick. The SAME exact thing happened to my sister's family in Arizona- they all got sick right after the Thanksgiving day feast. Such a miserable thing to have. Whenever I have the stomach flu, it makes me SO thankful that I'm not pregnant! :)

I loved seeing the pictures of the parade and the bathroom video. Thanks for sharing them and I hope you feel lots better soon!

Heather said...

We're all glad you are back up to speed! I had the stomach flu after Thanksgiving last year...mandarin oranges will never be the same!