Monday, January 07, 2008

First Job of 2008

Wall Street Journal ~ Morgan Stanley ~ Baby Blue Bikini

Everybody sing with me now: Sesame Style!
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?


Remember the first casting of the year last week? Well...lil sis and I booked it! I was quite surprised to receive the phone call late Friday evening, after being told the job was shooting that day. We were booked for today...and much to my dissappointment, not a bathing suit, but a bikini was involved.

We walked the 12 minutes hopstop said it would take from my house to the studio (one of the few in my hood), in the balmy 54 degree weather. When we arrived it was straight to makeup. The hair guy, Hellick, did an awesome job on my hair. I took a pic so that I can refer to it when I try to straighten it myself:

See how sleek and straight it is?

Then it was time to bronze this pasty pasty. I got a nice light layer of some spray on tan, and then it was into the bikini and on to the set. This consisted of a 12 x 12 wooden box filled with sand. My daughter's dream come true! Unfortunately the photo was not of her playing with the sand, but us relaxing on a blanket on top of the sand. Immediately I knew what the challenge of today's shoot would be....sand patrol.

Another interesting aspect of today's shoot was that our Icelandic photographer, Smari, placed the camera about 40 feet above our heads on a porch in the studio. It was slightly difficult to hear his direction from all the way up there, but one of the least invasive shoots I have experienced. It kind of reminded me of this one, which was also shot above our heads, but only 6 feet or so.

Negotiating lil sis without a wrangler was the hardest part of the shoot, but the wardrobe and makeup peops tried their best to help out. In one particularly restless moment with lil sis, I was laying there on the blanket trying to look serene, peaceful and relaxed, and she threw a large fistful of sand in my face. She has big hands. A large portion of the sand landed in my ear. I could feel sand in my eyeballs for a while too. The photographer happened to snap the frame RIGHT before she let go of the sand, and he captured her diabolical expression.... Oh, and another lesson learned today....lipgloss and sand do not mix. Not at all.

Needless to say, after our 4 hour romp in the sandbox, I had sand in those places that I do not enjoy sand. I had to ruin my great hair and take a bath to make sure all grainage (my mac is telling me that's a made up word...cool, I'm an inventor now!) floated off of me and to the bottom of the tub. I am still finding the occasional grain of sand in my ear and around my eyes though....

And now all of you Wall Street Journal Readers can look forward to what I am told will be a front page ad in the next 6 weeks or so. Just don't get blinded by my super-white torso....pass the shades please.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am so excited to see it (this does not mean that I am a WSJ reader...but, I will be so I can see the pics!)
PS. LOVE the straight hair.

Laura said...

Can you share the photo when it prints? I can't wait to see it. Glad you got the shoot.

Kage said...

laura, of course.. usually when I get my ands on my work, I share it here...

LJ said...

What a cool story! You sure get quite the adventures in your job experiences. I laughed as I imagined the lip gloss and sand combo. I'm sure the picture turned out amazing from that angle that you described. It sounds like all that exercise getting to and from places in NYC is the trick to maintaining that bikini bod! And after having two babies... wow. Oh, I really like your long and straight hair too- so cute!

Love reading your blog and seeing the fun pictures! Your daughters will treasure this journal someday...