Friday, March 07, 2008

BAM!


THESE IMAGES ARE REVERSED, NOT SURE WHY

On Wednesday I woke up at around noon. I was laying on my husbands side of the bed and I didn't understand why I felt so fatigued and why I was taking a nap in the middle of the morning when I had a long list of things to accomplish. I didn't understand why I still had my workout clothes on and all of a sudden I panicked: Where are the kids? What day is it? Why does my head hurt?


I went into the bathroom and saw that I had a goose egg on the right side of my face. I called my husband and asked where my kids were and what day it was and for some reason I concerned him enough to call my friend and get her over to check on me. Once she got to me and saw my injuries she determined I needed to be seen by a doctor. Mine did not have a free appointment until later that afternoon, so my husband came home from work and took me to the ER.

I was admitted later that night and had every single test done over the next few days. My injury was a concussion. I vommitted as soon as I got to the ER and I had to fight knife-like pain all over my head for the first 36 hours.

It didn't occur to me that I had a seizure or passed out or anything, until I spoke to my Dad today. I told him that half of my teeth were hurting so bad and my jaws were so sore. He explained that that is what a seizure does, it causes clenching of the mouth. That also explains why several different doctors checked my tongue to make sure I hadn't bitten it.

The other thing that I was really paying attention to was the fact that I started feeling the August Dizzy feeling again on Saturday. The neurologist later explained that those feelings are warnings to my body when a seizure might happen and to pay attention to it.

So I didn't pass about 3 of my tests and all of them told the same story, that I had some scar tissue from the meningitis that I suffered from in 2003, that promoted seizure activity. Since I only had one seizure, I don't officially have epilepsy, but I am still being treated with epilepsy drugs, which also means no driving for me for the next year.

My DH was so loving and caring for me from the second he got home to find me on that Wednesday until today when I was bossing him around about breaking me out of the hospital! He even endured about 5 different doctors excusing him from my room so that they could ask me if HE gave me the blue eye. Nope, sorry, I did that to myself and I have NO recollection of how, where or when it happened...chew on that one!

I am glad I got answers and I am glad it is treatable. I am glad that my mom is coming out to take care of me while I recover from my head injury. I am trying not to be down about this new lease in life. I need to start researching right......now!

22 comments:

Heather & Fi said...

I'm so upset over this. That is so scary. Anything I can do, PLEASE let me know.

Linz said...

I love you! Your attitude and faith will get you through this.

katie young said...

kristy...i don't know what to say, but i wish i was closer to hug you...you will be in my prayers. just curious...where were the girls?

Ann said...

i'm so sorry! you and your health.... i just can't believe all you've been through. i'm so shocked and terrified for you. but like linz said, you will make it through this. you are in my prayers.

onehm said...

WOW, that is one crazy, scary story! I'm glad that it's not any worse, but really so very scary!
I have to ask that same ?? as Katie...where were the girls??

Rachel H said...

Oh my goodness! How frightening to wake up in such a state! You poor girl. I hope that you can get everything figured out and come out fine and healthy~sending good thoughts your way..you seem super strong...so I am not worried!

Laura said...

Oh my gosh your post shocked me! It just scared me reading it. I cannot imagine your fear and confusion waking up and not knowing what had happened to you. I am so glad you are okay.

I know it must be very hard to learn to deal with this and accept it.

I surely will be thinking of you! Keep us posted! My heart totally goes out to you!

You are strong, you are not alone, and you will be o.k. Rest up.

((HUGS))

Chloe said...

I was so worried for you this week. I'm glad that you're home. You'll get through this :)

Elise said...

Hope you heal fast and get answers fast. We will definitely pray for you and your family.

BTW, I am a friend of Chloe's.

clg0513 said...

oh my goodness...how scary. I hope you are feeling okay - and so glad that this happened while you were at home and not out in some random place. Keep us updated as we are worried about you..and thinking of you. Hugs to you and your family.

Kage said...

Both girls were at school. I had the mother of all tantrums with Lil Sis to work through to get her to school and I am so glad I did, because I almost gave up and kept her home about 5 different times. I am also glad it didn't happen while I was on the treadmill at the gym downstairs...and furthermore while I was on the subway stairs or near the platform or holding one of my children or driving the car or all manner of other scary scary times. And it is because of these scary times that I got right on the medicine. Thanks for all your comments. I'm doing ok. I have a great husband and kids who are all watching out for me.

Heather said...

Kage...we are so glad you are on the road to recovery! We have thought a lot you and your family and are SO relieved that you are ok. We are here to help (ie. personal driver while you are out of commission! :)

MKC said...

OMG! How scary. I'm glad you were able to get medical attention quickly and they were able to give you meds to control everything.

tracy m (dandelion mama) said...

Whoa. You'll be in our prayers, too. Glad everyone is safe and on the road to being OK.

kates said...

I'm glad you are doing okay too and that it wasn't any worse than it could have been. You and your family are definitely in our thoughts and prayers as well.

Ashley said...

Wow, Kage. You are in my prayers!

Rane said...

What a scary day/moment. I'm so glad you were home. Even though you still have a very nice shiner I think you were definitely being watched over! I'm happy to hear your mom is coming. Moms are so great. You do so much for your family it will be nice for you to be able to focus on you for a day or two. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Cheryl said...

Oh, Kage! Holy cow, I'm glad you are okay. You'll be in my prayers...

Aprilyn said...

Wow! What a frightening thing. My best friend has epilepsy and I've seen one of her seizures. She has 6 kids and they just know what to do when Mom has a seizure. When they were little, they used to sit on her and go for a ride while she had her seizure. She is still on medication for her seizures but she can drive now. You will get used to the signs and be able to figure out when you're going to have one. I will pray for you. Tell your Mom "Hi from Aprilyn, a Grubbs girl."

Katie said...

Kage, what can I say. Ug. I'm sorry you had to/have to go through this. I'm so glad you're ok. And I hope and pray for the best in your recovery. You are awesome--things will work out.

nowlze said...

kage!!

i am so sorry that this happened to you, my friend! so strange, but you have been on my mind for DAYS. i worked with a girl who looked like a grown up version of big sis. i'll email you a photo.

anyhoo, i hope you are on the road to recovery!

xo

Mo Mommy said...

Don't usually comment here but I'm going to break that trend to say that I'm so relieved you and your family are okay. I have nothing to offer except prayers and hope, but they're all yours!