Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gradually Going Green


I enjoy cooking but I am terrible at meal planning and making TIME to cook. Since I have been taking a break from the chaotic part of life, I have found a lot of strength and comfort in grounding myself in self-care.

Part of that self-care has involved being even MORE aware of my diet. I feel that I make pretty good choices when it comes to what I put into my body. I choose fruits and vegetables, avoid red meat, and eat very little meat, eat whole grains, naturally low-fat foods etc. etc. BUT, I have been extra aware of my diet since my health has been a bit in the balance of late.

One effort I have made is to subscribe to a new food delivery service. Urban Organic delivers organic produce to my door every Friday. I get organic produce and I don't have to drive to get it! I get to check the website each week to see what I am going to get. This also gives me an added challenge of figuring out how to prepare the produce and the added bonus of exposing my kids to produce that maybe I hadn't thought of before.

This week I made a mushroom and onion casserole and a lentil soup with most of the veggies. My girls tried plums again, they liked them this time, and they downed the soup! I am looking forward to next week's delivery because it seems quite fruit-heavy and that means less cooking for me! It will be the perfect bit of food for us when we return home from a long trip.

I'm off to put my box into the recycling bin. No plastic bags wasted here! Just delicious dishes made with organic fruits and vegetables.

1 comment:

nymanzanita said...

Sounds like you have made some yummy/healthy meals. I should order a box myself because Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Fairway are too far for me and I dont get the organic products that I want. I'll be sure to mention your name if I order...I guess they give you a free box if someone joins and mentions your name. Have a fun Spring break and bring us back some sun.