Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cabbage Patch

I texted my friend even though I knew she was in labor.

I asked her what I could make with 2 heads of cabbage. I also texted two other friends at the same time, with the same question. I then forgot that I texted that.

Later on I got two texts in a row from my friend in labor:

"Epidurals Freakin' Rule"

and

"Kimshee" "Kimchee"

I was so surprised that she named her boy Kimshee after she had mentioned a whole list of non-Asian names before she left for the hospital. I was so convinced that this was the baby's name that I phoned another of our mutual frend's to tell her that the baby was named Kimshee and where did that name come from?

After much back and forth we decided that Kimshee was not the baby's name, but must be a word for like a zen place, like OM....and it was the follow up to the epidural text, NOT the announcement of the baby's name.

It wasn't until later that afternoon when my friend texted me a third time, in response to my question: What? You named the baby Kimshee?:

"Kimshee is what you can do with 2 cabbages." Oops.

I am pretty sure I won't be able to call that baby by his given name....he will be Kimshee for a while.

Kimchi anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying from laughter over here (baby names are kinda on the brain). I assume that was TFTC's baby? Thank goodness.... :o)

Hannah

Chloe said...

hee hee hee...that's really funny. I got those same two texts but forgot all about the what do I do with 2 cabbages (mainly because I have no idea) so to find out that "kimshee" was what came out of it is too funny...

By the way, I HATE kimchee - I think it tastes awful...

nymanzanita said...

That is hilarious! You must not make it to Flushing very much....I think that Kimchee is the staple food out here on the end of the 7 train...I can smell kimchee and other Korean food 24/7 in the air around where I live. Yum!?

TftCarrie said...

Did I really spell is Kimshee? I thought I wrote Kimchee (which I think is also wrong but at least it's phonetically correct).

Thanks for the good laugh while I was in labor.

Kage said...

Sorry, I misspelled what you misspelled. B/c I think it's really Kimchi

K

Melissa said...

I can picture this whole chain of events. Very funny.

Janna said...

you should text her back and tell her that cabbage leaves, in her bra, will help the swelling when she gets engorged with milk.....